Incredibly Stupid Line 6 M5 question.. Need some insight..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DanBass, Apr 8, 2014.

1. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

I've been playing for the better part of my life, in and around 30 years now. Never been much of an effects person, a few pedals in a board, plug and go. But for various reasons, I got away from it and but recently acquired a Line 6 M5.

There are tutorials on YouTube which help with the settings, and some "get started" things, but one thing seems to be left out and the manual is useless.

But yes, it is a pedestrian question and I am embarrassed to ask... thought I had it, but last night some things prompt my post this morning.

Here goes. :rollno:

I am not adding this into a crazy pedal setup - I have an amp, a bass, two cables. Boom.

What goes into what in regards to the back of the pedal??? :bag:

When I tried before, bass into Input L(mono) and the amp into Output L(mono).. tuner worked, all was well. Last night, same way, different bass, tuner would not work.. turn off tuner mode, bass came thru amp... However, when I moved the output (to amp) cable to the right input, the tuner worked and when disengaged, sound from the amp.

But both in input? Is that right? :help:

Again, my apologies for this silly silly silly question, I would just prefer to be right and since I need more "home" time with this thing (practice is timed, limited, so I need to have all working and ready to go..)

Really my fault, but alone practice time lately with things going on has been tough. Any insight would be great.

TIA

Attached Files:

2. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Bass > Input L(MONO) > Output L(MONO) > Amp
  3. DanBass

Weird, that was how I initially had it - will some basses not register with the tuner? For some reason, different bass, nothing. Last go around it was fine.

Maybe a factory reset is in order.
  4. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Hmmm.. I just sold an M13 and never had a problem. In and out thru the mono as gastric said. I would try a factory reset and try again.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

That is really odd. If you are getting different results with different basses I would check on the basses first.
  7. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

No condescension intended but... Did you plug into the right bass when you grabbed the different bass? Turn the volume up? Turn the amp on?

I only ask because at some point I've probably done it...
  8. metalinthenight

metalinthenight

Gastric's setup is correct. Also note what Dago said, that has happened to me more times than I'd like to mention.

Further more, are you playing a five string or detuned bass? The M series can sometimes have trouble reading the Low B on my bass.
  9. DanBass

LOL No offense taken, been there done that as well! :D

I will say that when I disengaged the tuner, the sound again came through the amp...
  10. DanBass

So I talked to the fine folks at Line 6 - actually the guy was as helpful as he could be from a distance, the time taken on the phone was appreciated.

Even though the factory reset only resets the presets, I figured what the hell. Your laptop acts up, what do you do? You re-boot. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Fired it up, on a side note, I always thought the on/off function on these was bizarre, it never really turns off, the display is always on, but I digress...

I plugged cord into the head, then the other end into the Output L (Mono), and then the other cord into the Input L (Mono) and then into a DIFFERENT bass.

Power on - worked like a charm. Even the tuner. :confused:

Very strange indeed.

Would a bass not register correctly in regards to tuning? Would there be something inside the bass that would cause it to be a beacon of non-conformance?

I could have grabbed that bass and tried, but a crisis at home developed and play time was over. :bawl: