Indie Swamp 4, GR8 Soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Torque, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Torque

Torque

Okay, I really like the comfort and feel of this bass.

http://indieguitars.ca/product-2.cfm?ID=36

I've only ever switched out pickups on guitars before, and even then it was always like-pickups. Single coils to singles, etc.

If I wanted to change the pickups in this bass without any routing, what options do I have? Do I measure the covers and hope that makers install their coils inside the same shapes? I understand the preamp will be the biggest thing shaping the tone. Do preamps have to be matched with pickups? If I get a bartolini preamp does that mean I need their pickups as well?

What else is there to look out for? Thanks

2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The pickups look like regular EMG-35 size pickups. Most pickup makers make theirs in this format.

As for the preamp, you can mix and match preamps of one manufacturer with pickups of others in 99% of the cases. You could, for instance, use SGD pickups with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, or Nordstrand pickups with an East J-retro preamp. The only question is whether you'll like the tone of it and there's no definitive answer simply because there are so many combinations. I hope someone with a similar bass to yours will chime in.

3. Torque

Torque

Thank you very much for the insight so far!! I was hoping it was a generic shell that would be pretty easy to find aftermarket things that would be drop-ins.

I will do some further research on that shape of EMG pickup, thanks again Stealth.

Edit: I just measured, they are definitely 3.5" or 89mm. Thanks!