1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Indie Swamp 4, GR8 Soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Torque, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Torque

Torque

Jul 23, 2011
    Okay, I really like the comfort and feel of this bass.

http://indieguitars.ca/product-2.cfm?ID=36

I've only ever switched out pickups on guitars before, and even then it was always like-pickups. Single coils to singles, etc.

If I wanted to change the pickups in this bass without any routing, what options do I have? Do I measure the covers and hope that makers install their coils inside the same shapes? I understand the preamp will be the biggest thing shaping the tone. Do preamps have to be matched with pickups? If I get a bartolini preamp does that mean I need their pickups as well?

What else is there to look out for? Thanks

2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The pickups look like regular EMG-35 size pickups. Most pickup makers make theirs in this format.

As for the preamp, you can mix and match preamps of one manufacturer with pickups of others in 99% of the cases. You could, for instance, use SGD pickups with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, or Nordstrand pickups with an East J-retro preamp. The only question is whether you'll like the tone of it and there's no definitive answer simply because there are so many combinations. I hope someone with a similar bass to yours will chime in.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Torque

Torque

Jul 23, 2011
    Thank you very much for the insight so far!! I was hoping it was a generic shell that would be pretty easy to find aftermarket things that would be drop-ins.

I will do some further research on that shape of EMG pickup, thanks again Stealth.

Edit: I just measured, they are definitely 3.5" or 89mm. Thanks!