1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

indonesian Laklands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by countrybassist, Sep 6, 2012.

1. countrybassist

countrybassist

Are they really that bad. I want to pickup a Lakland, but I've heard some negative reviews about the indonesian made basses.

2. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I have owned about 10 Lakland Skylines. Rather than disrespect MIIC models, I will just say: find a used MIK (Korean) model and buy it. Incredible quality.

3. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

IME they are indistinguishable from Korean-made ones. Just as good; maybe better since they're Plek'd.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

+1
    I have no complaints about my 44-64 Custom Skyline.
    It's a fabulous bass in all aspects.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Yeah...I think the "Koreans are better than Indonesians" thing is a myth. I've owned 3 Korean made Skylines and 2 Indonesian made ones, I honestly can't tell any difference whatsoever.

My current primary gigging bass is a DJ4, Indonesian, in the natural/black blocks configuration. It's about as good a jazz bass as I've ever played. It's lightweight, perfectly balanced, very even in tone from low to high, and supports very low action with no buzz at all.

7. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

I have also owned multiple Korean and Indonesian Laklands. They're both great, and I do not believe anyone can tell one from the other in a blind test.

I would personally opt for an Indonesian one as they are plekked at Lakland. Koreans ones were not.

8. countrybassist

countrybassist

Good info which is much appreciated :)

9. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

The Plek thing is a good point. Didn't really think about it at the time, but looking back I can say that the Indonesian Laklands definitely were easier to dial in nice low action.

I don't think Skylines are different than any other bass...they're pretty damn consistent...but I've still played some that were considerably better than others.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I have one of each and love both. Overall though, I really think the Indonesian one is better. It has a clearer, more open sound (both have the same Bart pickup + Audere pre combo) and the neck is more solid. Not a huge difference, but I like the Indo better overall.

That being said, either one makes an MIA Fender feel and sound like a dog.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You know, the more I think about it, I'm not sure my post is fair.

My 2 Skylines are a 4401 (Kor) and a 5501 (Indo).

My 5501 is the one with a cleaner, crisper sound and a more solid neck...but you know what? It has a maple board, 35" scale, and graphite rods in the neck.

The 4401 is rosewood, 34" scale, and no rods. I think that's what makes the sound difference, because I've always preferred the sound of a 35" scale.

Fretwork is actually better on my Korean 4401..it looks like the ends were clipped down and filled with wood putty like Music Man does. My PLEK'd 5501 does not have that.

12. ShowKing

ShowKing

I've only owned a skyline 55-02 made in korea.
    The playability, feel, weight, setup was immaculate.
    The only things i didnt like were cosmetics.
    The pickup cavity in the body was a little bigger than the lakland pickups so there was a small but noticeable gap.
    The quilted top only looked awesome at certain angles and otherwise looked plain.

13. deependmusicllc

deependmusicllc Gold Supporting Member

I owned many Korean Skylines in the past. They were all great. When the production moved to Indonesia, the quality was not good at that point. Every bass I tried at that time had a very loose unfocused sound. Slapping them sounded dead. At that point, the dealer I used quit carrying them. They too were not happy with the quality. I say this only about my experience right when the change took place. I have since been told that improvements have been made since that change took place. I can't verify that improvements really did take place because I have not tried one since then. I do know that some positive changes have taken place within the company and I think there is a good chance that the basses did improve since that initial move. This was my experience at that time. I still respect Lakland, I just can't buy the Skyline without trying it first.

14. afzoomie67

afzoomie67

I like these and all but for an Indonesian-made bass, they're expensive. You could get a Am. Fender for the price of these.

15. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I've owned numerous Skylines,
    The best ones were the Indonesians.
    Maybe its the PLEKing?

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

My company manages manufacturing for various products around the world for our clients. The "Made in XXXX is no good" is total myth. If the company knows and cares about what they are doing, it doesn't matter where the product is made. You may find that some crappy item is made in China - it is because the customer specified the crap to be made at the desired price. If the buyer cares about their reputation, they will see that the goods are made to their proper standards in ANY factory. For example, look at the new Fender Squier line -they are fantastic, made in their new factory in Indonesia. Nikon and Sony products are made in some of the most advanced factories in the world in China.

I short - if you have trust and respect for the maker, in this case Lakland - then you don't need to worry about where their products are made.

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Mine absoulutely sucked in build, finish and the tone dept. I got the one lemon ever in the history of TB, because the high flying reviews here are what steered me to them over a US Fender. I'm still willing to give them a shot because of their customer service but their price/quality ratio was severely lopsided in my experience. At the end of the day, offered nothing you couldn't get for $500 cheaper. Flame on.

18. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

Did they do right by you after the issues?

19. SJan3

SJan3

Like a dog? Now why must you say that??

20. macribas

macribas Supporting Member

That's fine, this is not the "Lakland Fan Boy Thread". :)
    I am sure there are lemons coming out of Korea, Indonesia, Mexico and even California. That's why most retailers either give you the opportunity to try the instruments yourself and return them if necessary.
    Sorry to hear you got one of those, but it seems like their customer service was of help.

21. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Wow, I had no idea they were being made there now.