Inexpensive bass with piezo pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Apolicious, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Apolicious

Apolicious

For weirdly specific reasons I'm looking for a four-string bass with piezo pickups. I'd prefer something without any mags whatsoever, but so long as the piezos can be soloed I don't care. And I'd prefer it to be as inexpensive as possible as this is just something to fart around with. I got one of those "sandalwood silent basses" that are all over eBay, but it was an unmitigated disaster. I personally love crappy chinese basses - so long as they're capable of being repaired, but the one I got was flawed far beyond repair.

Anybody have any ideas? I checked out most of the stuff on the market by the major manufacturers, but it's all priced outside of the impulse buy range.

2. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I believe most if not all acoustic basses use piezo pickups. You can find good deals on those, some as low as 200.00 or so. If you haven’t done so already, check out the Kala U-bass and the Goldtone Microbass.They both use piezo,s they utilize special synthetic strings and they are very portable, giggable, incredible sounding instruments. I play a fretless U-bass and a fretted Microbass, and have more fun with them than should be allowed! Goldtone plans on coming out with a solid body microbass soon also, and Kala has them already if that interests you.

3. Apolicious

Apolicious

I guess I should've been more specific. I'm looking for a full-scale electric bass. And I agree, the Kala's are absolutely mind-blowing instruments. I still can't believe the sound that comes out of such a tiny body.

4. MD

MD

I've never equated piezos with inexpensive basses, but rather an option to be had with more expensive basses. You may have better luck installing a piezo bridge on an inexpensive bass.
    Google "piezo bass guitar pickup/bridge".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Carvin ac40. Not exactly inexpensive, but awesome.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for Carvin. Plus the piezo bridge in my LB76 is easily the high point of the electronics.

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

You can order a Wishbass piezo-only without a pickup.

9. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

Consider a Yamaha Bex4 if you can find one for the right money.

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Washburn Stu Hamm. The $500 model has a piezo bridge.

11. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Italia Maranello Z. Piezo, no mag pup, cool.

Epiphone Zenith. Piezo, discreet mag pup, cool.

Godin Acoustibass. Models include: Fretless, fretted, piezo, EQ, no mag/with mag, single cutaway/ double cutaway... Very Cool.

or get any cheap bass and install a Hipshot Piezo bridge. Y:oops:wn

12. Apolicious

Apolicious

man, that Italia is gorgeous. exactly what I want, but $750 is too rich for my blood. I'll have to keep an eye out for a used one.

as for adding a hipshot to a cheap bass, the bridge is $175 on its own, plus the install cost (I don't do electronics, and the nearest competent luthier is 100+ miles from here.) that seems like it can turn into a money pit real fast.

13. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

14. Alan Ace Cooper

Alan Ace Cooper Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Devon Basses, DR Strings, EMG pickups, Bag End Cabs
    I have an Italia Maranello Z for sale in the Classified section. It's 4 months old, hardly used, perfect shape. The Active, Piezo preamp has a Jekyl and Hyde personality. It can get very grindy and old Skool Rickenbacker into a Marshall guitar amp, if you have the treble control cranked. I usually keep it rolled all the way off and have it strung with D'Addario, Black Nylon tapewound strings. Silver Sparkle finish looks awesome on stage!! Italia basses have a lifetime warranty against build defects etc.. Well under $1000, well worth it. Only selling mine because I got a 5 string Godin A5 last month!

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

+1 for an EDA900... I bought mine for $150. You can just play the piezo pickup alone or blend it with the soapbar pickup. Excellent bass and very distinctive looking.

16. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Spector Spectorcore. Lovely bass.

17. Webskipper

Webskipper Supporting Member

My teacher recommended a solid body with a piezo rather than an acoustic electric.

The Kala Ubass has had my curiosity all week. What do you play with it?

Does the ubass sound better amped with their sound hole plug (ubass feedback freezer) ? Do they feel like a Uke or a short scale bass guitar or a toy?

Do they make a 5-string acoustic? Fretless or not? Can't seem to find one.

Thanks in advance.

18. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

Look for a Carvin a4. They are quite nice, partcularly the fretless and most on the used market run $500-$650 and are Piezo only.

19. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

Sorry I meant to write GODIN a4!

20. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

Another plug for Steve Wishnevsky. Go to Wishbass.com or find him on facebook. Ask him about a piezo bass.

21. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

That u- bass is just like a ukulele It can feel toylike but when you plug it in and play it the sound will blow you away. I did not notice any difference with the feedback freezer in or out when it was plugged in. I play contemporary Christian and also play with friends some rock and blues and use the u- bass in all situations. Everyone raves about the sound of it. You may want to look at the goldtone micro bass also. Neither one is available in five string fretless or fretted that I am aware of.