Inexpensive lightweight 2-pickup shortscale with fat tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Temcat, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Temcat

Temcat

Basically, the subject says it all. Gretsch G2220 almost fits the description, but at almost 9 pounds, it's not that much lighter than full-scale instruments.

Any other suggestions?

2. mongo2

mongo2

It would help if you defined your price range.

Hofner Ignition Club Bass? Very light weight (mine is about 4.5 lbs) with fat tone especially using flats or nylon tapes. About $479 with case around here.

Ibanez Mikro? Not as light as the Club Bass, fat sounding with flats or tapes, 28-ish inch scale, about $180 (no case or bag) around here.

Squier Jaguar Short Scale? Mine is about 7.5 lbs, again flats or nylon tapes make it fatter sounding (notice a pattern developing here?), about $180 (no case or bag) here.

3. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

4. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Temcat

Temcat

The budget would be around $300. As for tapes/flats, I really tried to like them but always went back to roundwounds. I need fat tone with rounds; the Gretsch does have that.

I'd also like to avoid PJ configuration, in spite of my only bass currently being a PJ. I just don't seem to get the tone I need from it. I think humbuckers are the best bet here, unless there are Jazz pickups that achieve the needed fatness.

The Hofner looks nice, but it seems to be a hollowbody while I would like a solidbody bass.

The Dano that SBsoundguy suggested—well, I find it ugly.

Thanks everybody who chimed in so far, now I see that the subject didn't really say it all as I'd claimed. Would love to hear other recommendations. So far a Mikro modded with humbuckers looks like the best option to me.

7. mongo2

mongo2

OK, how about a Squier Mustang, my MIJ Mustang sounds pretty much like a P bass. There's also a rectangular humbucker Mikey Way sig Mustang in silver sparkle with black competition stripes and black painted headstock. Weight will vary on these.

I've also used the Epiphone Allen Woody Sig (aka Rumblekat) they can sound fat but they're over $300 new, maybe a used one? Again weight varies, about 7-8 lbs IIRC.

There's SX, decent instruments and inexpensive but I found them not to be particularly light in weight.

8. Dradder

Dradder

9. Temcat

Temcat

Mustang, while a nice instrument (and one I'd really want to buy at some point in the future!), is single-pickup. Maybe it could serve as a mod platform, but then AFAIK it's not particularly light, and Mikro seems a better option for that.

Rumblekat looks beautiful and has the right pickups. It's said to be light-weight (haven't found the exact weight figure), which is a plus, too. The only problem is, it has the bridge pickup in the wrong place :D I guess it can be modded, too, but there is a cheaper alternative for that. But man does it look gorgeous!

10. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Rumblekat's are 7.5 lbs.

Bridge pickup is in the wrong place? Not in my opinion (or Epiphone's).

11. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

How about a 6.5 lb 25.5" scale solid body with twin humbuckers and roundwounds standard - at about that price?

Available with maple or rosewood fingerboards, or lined fretless rosewood. Lefty version available at little extra cost.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/picco-micro-scale-bass-thread-1053155/

https://www.facebook.com/PiccoMusic

http://www.piccomusic.com

Sound sample files should be posted to YouTube within the next few days.

PiccoBass Micro Scale Bass:

Attached Files:

12. mongo2

mongo2

The "bridge" pickup on the Rumblekat is in the right place for a P bass-ish tone. I prefer that to a closer to the bridge pickup.

13. macmanlou

Here's a sound clip of the PiccoBass:

Sounds good and "fat" to me.

14. Temcat

Temcat

Just listened to this clip. Like the tone of Gretsch and Rumblekat (though for me the latter will need a proper bridge pup) much more.

15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

+1 for the rumblekat.

A Hofner violin or club would also do the trick. The icon/ignition weighs about 5 pounds.

16. macmanlou

More sample sounds from the PiccoBass. Pickups soloed: