1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Inexpensive Yamaha bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Dec 28, 2012.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

I recently purchased a used Yamaha RBX170EW, mango facing from Guitar Center for $130.00 in pristine condition, like new. I understand these are very inexpensive basses. I was searching for a p/j bass and stumbled upon this bass.

I replaced the rw strings with rotosound 77 flats. I have been playing it for a couple of days and I must say I am impressed with the playability and variety of sound/tone that it produces for such an inexpensive bass.

Just wondering if anyone out there has experience or comments regarding this model.
  2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

I can generally say - Yamahas are some of the finest cheap guitars on the market. I tried that bass a few weeks ago in GC. Sounds really good. It might be workforce, if you play regular gigs around...
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

That's why you buy based on your ears and not your eyes glued on the headstock nice catch congrats.
  4. zachoff

zachoff

Yamaha, for all its expansive product line, has always made quality musical instruments. I love my old BBs and have had a Yamaha head, cab, RBX775, and my daughter has a Yamaha keyboard that's works well too.
  5. hgiles

hgiles

Yamaha anything is gonna be a great performer and a great value!
  6. Bobster

Bobster

I recently saw a young lady playing a Yamaha RBX270(?) on Youtube Jade Justine; and I absolutely love her tone. I'd definitely buy one of those if I needed a good inexpensive P/J bass.

Bob
  7. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Gotta love Yamaha. They always crank out awesome, overlooked stuff for cheap.

Be sure to look used too. You often find incredible deals on sweet stuff!
  8. Astreaux

Astreaux

I have the same model RBX170EW, purchased new from GC back in September for $179. Light, fast neck, low action, and good sounding for the price. Fun to play. Congrats on a good find!
  9. Shrekster

Shrekster

I just bought a new one,same model in the Sunburst from GC. I started on bass a few weeks ago and was told by several experienced bassists that Yamaha offers great value and quality for its starter basses. Do the Rotosound 77 flats provide more growl or a smoother tone? I want smooth right now while I work on intonation. Thx.
  10. TheGreatSealof

Yes, the Rotosounds provide a smoother , deep bass sound. The RW's were fine but too bright for my taste. After installing the rotosound flats and adjusting the pickups to various combinations, I found that the Yamaha produces great results. And yes, the bridge Jazz pup provides excellent growl.

I also own a MIA Jazz that produces authentic Jazz growl. I must say the Yamaha gets very close to my MIA growl.

I found a keeper for a great price. :hyper:
  11. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

I found Yamaha strings work great with Yamaha guitars! Isn't that surprise?!
  12. TheGreatSealof

This girl is awsome! So young and talented. Great inspiration for aspiring bassists.:bassist:
  13. Temcat

Temcat

I've briefly owned a similar bass, Yamaha RBX 270. Quickly got disappointed with it - just couldn't get a tone I liked out of it. It felt lacking in the lower frequency department. However, BB414 was a different story altogether, very solid bass for little money.
  14. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Yamaha is the one brand that never allowed it's good name to be spoiled by selling junk.

In all those years I have never picked up a piece of Yamaha equipment that wasn't only worth it's money, all of it was performing it's job adequately even on an absolute scale (not taking money into account).
  15. Nobody

Nobody

I bought my son a Yamaha RBX170 for Christmas 2011 and it's been great.
  16. bill reed

bill reed

I have had a RBX170 for about 5 years now, it is still my most played bass, Yamaha are really very underrated for there basses.
    after 5 years of playing it still looks like new. never had me one problem in all the time I have had it.
    would really recommend this bass to anyone who is starting out.
  17. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Just checked out a bunch of her videos. Great, great stuff.
    Check out her piano video for an even bigger surprise.

I used to play an RBX170. Great, great bass value.
    I loved that bass. The only reason I don't still play it is that I only play short scales these days.
    But that RBX170 is a big winner.