1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Info about 2012 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svp, Sep 29, 2012.

1. svp

svp

Was in a local bass shop recently and saw a 2012 Fender Jazz that caught my eye, it sounded amazing and played great, and am hoping I can get some info on this particular model. It was a american standard, had a stained ash body and on the neckplate it said limited edition. Was wondering if it has same specs as other american standard jazzes (same pups)? Thanks for any info.

2. progrockbass

progrockbass

Here’s a mini summary of why you’re going to want the Fender FSR American Standard Hand Stained Ash Jazz Bass…
    Limited run – only 150 guitars produced globally
    Solid ash body – hard, bright tonewood adds tonal character
    Thin satin lacquer – further enhances body resonance
    Hand rubbed stain finish – transparent stain reveals wood figuring
    Classic American Standard features – HMV bridge and hardware, US Fender Single coil pickups and more
    Maple neck with Posiflex support rods – available with rosewood fretboard (wine red model) or maple fretboard (mahogany stain model)
    Complete with Fender moulded case and accessories

3. svp

svp

So I wonder why it doesn't have the custom shop pups like the other American Standard's do, I guess it's the body wood and finish that makes them limited edition?

4. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

It does have custom shop pickups. It is still a 2012 American Standard and all the 2012 American Standards have the custom shop pickups , as far as I know. Mine does.

7. ZSavage

ZSavage GrooveBopDeluxe

It is the Fender Select Jazz Bass

A very nice instrument

8. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Ok not the same one I was thinking.of then. Don't know much about the "select" models. Just the standards and what I have heard about the deluxe.

That is a.sharp looking bass !!!!

9. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Got one coming from Willcutt Guitars.......Maple neck, mahogany stained ash......i'm dying ovah heah from refreshing the tracking button!!!:hyper:

10. The Birdman

The Birdman

The limited edition ash body model does NOT. I've looked at two different ones at my local Guitar Centers, and they don't have the Custom Shop pickups. The 2012 CS pups have poles that stick out above the covers, and the ones on the ash model do NOT, like the 2008-2011 pups.

So why don't they have the CS pups???? Who knows. Maybe this was a way to use up the last of the old pickups. But that makes them the ONLY 2012 serial number American Standards that don't have them.

Roger

11. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Here is what the GC website says:

Fender American Standard Hand-Stained Ash Jazz Bass Features:
    Ash body
    Hand rubbed stain/satin lacquer top coat body finish
    Modern "C" shape maple neck
    Satin finish on back of neck and gloss finish on headstock
    Rosewood fretboard
    20 Medium jumbo frets
    Synthetic bone nut
    Posiflex graphite neck support rods
    American Standard Jazz Bass® single-coil bridge and neck pickup
    Black plastic Volume 1, Volume 2, Master Tone control knobs
    Chrome hardware
    High Mass Vintage bridge (Strings-Thru-Body or Topload)
    3-Ply Black/White/Black pickguard
    Fender/SKB® case, cable, strap and polishing cloth included

Fender American Standard Hand-Stained Ash Jazz Bass Specifications:
    Fretboard Radius: 9.5" (24.1 cm)
    Scale Length: 34" (86.36 cm)
    Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm)

Now is there a difference between "American Standard Jazz Bass® single-coil bridge and neck pickup" and "custom shop pickups"? I was under the impression and was told by GC that it had the custom shop pickus. No matter, I really enjoy the sound of my Jazz. However I did send an email to Fender for some clarification on the issue and will get back with you all on my findings.

12. The Birdman

The Birdman

I wouldn't trust whatever I was told at GC..... :meh: I've heard a lot of misinformation there, myself.

All I know is that EVERY 2012 American Standard bass I've seen has pickups with poles that stick out above the pickup covers, so I surmise that is a characteristic of the Custom Shop pickups. The poles on the pickups on the 2008-2011 American Standards do NOT stick out, they are flush. The poles on the pickups of both of the limited edition ash body models that I have seen do NOT stick out.

Roger

13. Musicman20

Musicman20

Plus one. My thoughts exactly.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

No, it's just a characteristic of early vintage pickups. OVs are like that.

My guess is that these have the 33753/46 set, from the description.

This is definitely a downgraded "American Standard" on a few points.

15. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Still waiting to hear from Fender. Notice they get back but takes few days.

16. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Could you elaborate more. How is it downgraded? The pups you mentioned, what are those, are they the custom shop or something else?

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Sounds like there are several different models being discussed in the same thread. If I'm not mistaken, progrockbass is talking about the limited edition hand-stained ash that came out in either Mahogany Stain/maple board or Wine Red Stain/rosewood board. There were 150 of each made in both a Precision and a Jazz (600 total). They do NOT have the Custom Shop pickups. They use the same pickups that came on the '08 - '11 Am. Stds. (which IMO, sound great, especially on the Jazz.) The first 50 of each were signed and numbered by Jeff Allen. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is also an American Special hand-stained Honey Burst model that looks very nice. And to further confuse us, there is also the Am. Std. model that Bassguitarthund linked in Post #4. So it appears that the FSR designation can be very confusing this year.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Cheaper finish and pickups, most obviously, from the descriptions here and listed info. I would also bet the production routine is subtly downgraded.
    33753/46 set? They were the pickups used on the previous American Standard, before the 2012 "upgrade." Flat poles, flush mount, plastic bobbin. Nothing wrong with them, but they're not the "vintage" pickups on the higher-priced, non-"FSR" 2012.

[I'm not entirely sure what the pickups actually are in the regular 2012s. The first ad copy I saw on them said they were OVs, then they started claiming "Custom Shop" vintage pickups, whatever that really means. I've seen some name games about this on previous models. I think whatever they call them, they're just essentially just production OVs.]

I don't have the current full book of Jazz Bass parts lists and don't know what other basses currently use the 33753/46 set, but I imagine there are others. Jazz Bass production uses a wider variety of pickups than Precisions for some mysterious reason.

19. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Jeff K

Did you know you are missing a screw on your D string tuner?

20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

:D
    :D Ha ha! Good eye, SolarMan. I have to admit that I did NOT realize it until I posted that pic last night. Then I noticed it. I was wondering if any of you would spot that! Thanks...

I bought it used; and I guess I didn't look it over as well as I thought I had. But I really like this bass. It's the lightest weight Jazz I've ever owned, and sounds really nice.

21. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Finish is excellent on the neck and body, does not seem cheaper to me. Unless hand stained is cheaper to do than a painted or clear coat?

Yup those were the set I was asking about :)

While I think my Jazz sounds great, would not have bought it otherwise, I am a little disappointed to find out it was not what was advertised. I don't plan on changing the pups on my bass. Of course I am still waiting to hear back from Fender for conformation.