Info on this Cabinet??? Dr. Bass Maybe?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nate74, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

I ended up with this cabinet through an odd series of events. I was originally told it was an Avatar, but there's a sticker on the input plate that says Dr. Bass. I've done some looking online and it doesn't look like an Avatar single 12" and does look like one of the Dr. Bass single 12" cabinets, though mine doesn't have a nameplate on the front.

Here are a couple pix of my cabinet:
    [​IMG]

And here's a link to a Dr. Bass cabinet that's very similar in form:
    http://altomusic.com/shop/Used-Dr-Bass-DBR-112LF-1X12-Bass-Cabinet_pid109431.am

I've done a few searches here but besides the fact that the guy who used to build Dr. Bass cabinets was a flake, I don't see much info.

It sounds pretty good with both my upright and electric, and I like being able to use it upright or on it's side as well as on a pole mount (great for upright).

But I'm curious if these were considered good cabs and what they went for (or are worth now)?

I wonder what the LF (link above) means and why mine doesn't say that on the sticker thing?

Honestly, I have too many cabinets and am looking for a reason to (or not to) keep this one.

thanks!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Yep, that's definitely a Dr. Bass 112LF. It was on the old Dr. Bass website, billed as a sub woofer cab to go underneath one of their full range cabs for extra low end.

I would surmise that on its own, it would lack midrange and high end due to both the driver used and the internal design.

3. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

thanks Eric!

Interesting; the idea of a 12" low frequency sub. The driver is a Celestion BN12-300S, which claims to have a frequency response up to 4kHz and the cab is wired full frequency currently as well with no crossover. No way to know I guess if it originally had a crossover of some sort though.

I got it in a trade and feel like even if it's only worth $250, I'm ahead on the deal... if it's worth $250 that is...

Also, I'm guessing by the countless complaints I've read about Dr. Bass emailing them for a replacement nameplate might be a lost cause ;)

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

That's probably why it's gone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

:p:p:p

7. bobcruz

bobcruz

Most of the forum members who use Dr. *ass cabs have removed the logo to avoid advertising for his ongoing scam. I was about to suggest you could get one of those but I'm betting the logos were destroyed in many various and creative ways, and wouldn't that make a fun thread with pix or video showing the destruction? :p

8. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

So I won't be looking for a logo. Seems like a solidly built cabinet. Might hold on to it for a while, though i do wonder what it might fetch if I decided to sell it???

9. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Wow, the more I read online about Dr Bass and the complaints, the more I understand why you might pull the logo off.

It's a really nice sounding cab though...

10. Eric Moesle

Dr. Bass cabs were excellently built and sounded great. Nobody I am aware of ever complained about the quality or tone, those aspects were always first rate.

The problems were that so many people paid and never received cabs. Once received, they were great.

11. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Got a chance to run the cabinet last night with my Shuttle 3.0, at a practice using both my P-Bass and my upright. this was my Irish folk/rock project.

It sounded pretty good on the P-Bass but I really had to work with the upper EQ to get the upright to sound "acousticy." I also took along my GB NEOX-112T to A/B them a bit. It blew the Dr. Bass away on the upright as it has a small tweeter which can add in a bit of the "acousticallness."

Interestingly though, on the P-bass I actually preferred the DR Bass as it had a little rounder, more old school sound. I might not like it with a 5 string active in a more modern sounding genre, but it sounded great on the more rock oriented songs we do (Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, etc.)

I was sort of hoping to hate it entirely so I would have motivation to sell it, but maybe I'll see if there's room for a small tweeter or maybe swap in a wizzy-type extended (+4kHz) range driver.

I'm also thinking I want to find an old nameplate from some old car for the grill :)

12. Cirk

Cirk

I have an old chrome logo if you want it. I think it's from an old car dealership around Norfolk, Va. Has a silhouette of a fox on top, and the name "FOX" in sort of art deco letteres. No camera on my phone to take a picture with. If you want it, just PM me your address. If you like it, use it. If not, just put it on the wall in the garage.

13. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

The design looks similar to a Dr. Bass 112LF, but I don't think that's a Dr. Bass cabinet. Dr. Bass cabinets don't have strap handles. It's a little hard to tell by your picture, but this cabinet looks like it is carpeted. Dr. Bass cabinets are not carpeted. The grill mounting screws don't look right either. Lastly, if it was a Dr. Bass cabinet, it would have 2 Speakon and 2 1/4 jacks. Does this cabinet have these jacks?

Ben

14. Eric Moesle

I notices that "near the end", the Dr. was pieces-parting cabs together with whatever he had lying around. Different drivers than usual, different handles, jacks, etc.

He used to have Line-X coating sprayed, but at the end he started hand-rolling duratex on some of the final cabs. The OP's picture looks like the blown Line-X.... very nice covering....

I think this cab was originally spec'd with an Eminence DeltaLF driver on his site.

15. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Yeah, this appears to be Line-X. The input plate has 2 speakons and 2 1/4' inputs. The speaker mount screws were added by the guy I got it from. Said the grill vibrated a bit so he added those. There are also screw holes around the edge of the grill where I'm assuming the grill originally was mounted. Also, the strap handle sits in a recession so when it's pushed down, it's flush with the surface of the cab. Nice touch for use with my micro-head.

I have a Eminence plate mounted 2-way crossover with a 3.5kHz crossover point and a L-pad on the tweeter output. I ordered a Vifa dome tweeter that I've used in the past which will just fit in one of the corners of the baffle. I think with a touch of tweeter, this cab will really come to life with my upright. Probably won't rival the GB, but for a cabinet that doesn't appear to be worth much, why not try right?

Cirk - PM inbound. Very kind of you!