Info wanted on Danelectro longhorn re issues...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old mark, Dec 18, 2013.

1. old mark

old mark

When I was 14, in 1962, I got an old Danelectro Longhorn bass, copper burst, in its factory case for about $125. I took lessons and started playing in bar bands at age 15 with that bass, and used it exclusively for he next 10 years. I eventually sold it, and have always missed it. I just bought a used re issue Danelectro longhorn, but have no idea what iteration it is. It is all white, has the old standard rosewood saddle bridge. I don't know when or where it was made, and would like some source of information on the variations of the Longhorn bass over its several re issues.

FWIW, I LOVED that bass, and played it till I was no longer playing, and sold it in 1975 for the same $125 I paid for it in 1962. It was a great player, fast and with great thump and variety of tones, and I just jumped on the re-issue a few minutes ago. More information and pics when I get it, probably late next week.

Thanks for any help.

mark
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A white one sounds like it's a Korean reissue from the 90's or early 2000's. And I just looked up white Longhorns and it seems they look like the Korean reissues, too. They're generally considered pretty good and a step above the more recent Chinese reissues, although I have a Chinese Longhorn from 2009 that I'm quite happy with. I was told it was going to fall apart on me immediately, and I've had it for 3 years and it's not even close to happening, even after taking it on several flights checked as baggage in a gig bag and SKB Bass Safe.
  3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Agreed that it's certainly Korean. IIRC, those 90's MIK reissues didn't have a truss rod.

I have a MIC "Dead On" reissue, which I think is a great bass for what it is. Nicely made, sounds and plays good. Never had a single problem with it.
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

I guess the "for what it is" disclaimer can cover a vast area. :meh:

I have the polar opposite experience and impression based on going through two of these atrocities. With the best will in the world, I absolutely don't get the appeal, though having one without the grosser manufacturing defects attendant to Chinese QC would no doubt help some. Still, in the best case they have a bunch of inherent problem$ to dig out from under straight from the box. :scowl:

Suggest the OP, if he's really hell-bent on getting one, stick to the Korean versions.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. msb

msb

The first Korean re-issues did have a truss rod , but you have to remove the neck to adjust it .
  7. lz4005

lz4005

They do have a truss rod, but you have to take the neck almost completely off to get to it.

edit: dang, beaten to the punch by a few seconds
  8. msb

msb

I should add that it's one of the most stable necks that I own . I made a minor adjustment just after buying it , haven't had to touch it since . It's the first Korean re-issue . The only other bass that I own that's that stable is an old Rickenbacker 4001 .
  9. msb

msb

The first Korean re-issues are easy to spot , they have two sets of concentric round knobs , no toggle switch . Wooden bridge . They also made the Longhorn Pro that had upgraded tuners and an adjustable bridge also with the double round knobs . The second batch had a toggle switch . Some were Korean , some were Chinese .
  10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

Honestly, find a Jerry Jones longhorn. A superb instrument, better than the original and much better than a reissue. [​IMG]
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah but you can't find a Jerry Jones for $200 ;)
  12. old mark

old mark

I had an original 58 back in the old days, and I have an all white DC Dano 6 string, which IS Korean and DOES of course have a truss rod that has the adjustment at the body end. I loved playing my old one, kicked the ass of any Fender I have played - it was replaced by a '70's Fender Telecaster re issue when they first came out, and that was a good bass with that big humbucker, but the old Dano had the THUMP that nothing else seems to have.

I played the Dano for over 10 years, and adjusted the truss rod twice in all that time.

I already bought the white one and I expect it will be here next week...Cost $199.

mark