1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Info wanted on Danelectro longhorn re issues...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old mark, Dec 18, 2013.

1. old mark

old mark

When I was 14, in 1962, I got an old Danelectro Longhorn bass, copper burst, in its factory case for about $125. I took lessons and started playing in bar bands at age 15 with that bass, and used it exclusively for he next 10 years. I eventually sold it, and have always missed it. I just bought a used re issue Danelectro longhorn, but have no idea what iteration it is. It is all white, has the old standard rosewood saddle bridge. I don't know when or where it was made, and would like some source of information on the variations of the Longhorn bass over its several re issues.

FWIW, I LOVED that bass, and played it till I was no longer playing, and sold it in 1975 for the same $125 I paid for it in 1962. It was a great player, fast and with great thump and variety of tones, and I just jumped on the re-issue a few minutes ago. More information and pics when I get it, probably late next week.

Thanks for any help.

mark
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A white one sounds like it's a Korean reissue from the 90's or early 2000's. And I just looked up white Longhorns and it seems they look like the Korean reissues, too. They're generally considered pretty good and a step above the more recent Chinese reissues, although I have a Chinese Longhorn from 2009 that I'm quite happy with. I was told it was going to fall apart on me immediately, and I've had it for 3 years and it's not even close to happening, even after taking it on several flights checked as baggage in a gig bag and SKB Bass Safe.
  3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Agreed that it's certainly Korean. IIRC, those 90's MIK reissues didn't have a truss rod.

I have a MIC "Dead On" reissue, which I think is a great bass for what it is. Nicely made, sounds and plays good. Never had a single problem with it.
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

I guess the "for what it is" disclaimer can cover a vast area. :meh:

I have the polar opposite experience and impression based on going through two of these atrocities. With the best will in the world, I absolutely don't get the appeal, though having one without the grosser manufacturing defects attendant to Chinese QC would no doubt help some. Still, in the best case they have a bunch of inherent problem$ to dig out from under straight from the box. :scowl:

Suggest the OP, if he's really hell-bent on getting one, stick to the Korean versions.
  5. msb

msb

The first Korean re-issues did have a truss rod , but you have to remove the neck to adjust it .
  6. lz4005

lz4005

They do have a truss rod, but you have to take the neck almost completely off to get to it.

edit: dang, beaten to the punch by a few seconds
  7. msb

msb

I should add that it's one of the most stable necks that I own . I made a minor adjustment just after buying it , haven't had to touch it since . It's the first Korean re-issue . The only other bass that I own that's that stable is an old Rickenbacker 4001 .
  8. msb

msb

The first Korean re-issues are easy to spot , they have two sets of concentric round knobs , no toggle switch . Wooden bridge . They also made the Longhorn Pro that had upgraded tuners and an adjustable bridge also with the double round knobs . The second batch had a toggle switch . Some were Korean , some were Chinese .
  9. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

Honestly, find a Jerry Jones longhorn. A superb instrument, better than the original and much better than a reissue. [​IMG]
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah but you can't find a Jerry Jones for $200 ;)
  11. old mark

old mark

I had an original 58 back in the old days, and I have an all white DC Dano 6 string, which IS Korean and DOES of course have a truss rod that has the adjustment at the body end. I loved playing my old one, kicked the ass of any Fender I have played - it was replaced by a '70's Fender Telecaster re issue when they first came out, and that was a good bass with that big humbucker, but the old Dano had the THUMP that nothing else seems to have.

I played the Dano for over 10 years, and adjusted the truss rod twice in all that time.

I already bought the white one and I expect it will be here next week...Cost $199.

mark