1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Inlay installation question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gregmon79, Dec 5, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

So I wanted to get some block or triangle inlays for one of my basses. If they're triangle I was thinking of the ones that are on a lot of Ricks. Where would I find them? And what are they typically made of? Vinyl maybe? And are they just applied like tape or are they adhered another way? I have no exp with this sort of thing so I'm bringing to y'all. Thanks for the advice/help/input to those who comment.
  2. gregmon79

Also, would it be recommended I put inlays of this nature on a rosewood fretboard??
  3. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

There are lots of vinyl stickers out there, but you might post this in Luthiers Corner to find out about the real deal.
  4. gregmon79

I wasn't sure. I figured since it was a BASS mod that it would be better suited here. I'll try over there then. Thanks.
  5. Jiker75

Jiker75 The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

http://www.inlaysticker.com/
    They do not have the Triangle Ric ones, but have a few block options. They are cheap, they are easy to install and remove.
    I have installed them on two of my basses and removed them from one without issues (Both Rosewood) I do however recommend you use masking or paper (artist) tape when installing the block inlays because they can be a little tricky to line up correctly. (I did not do this the first time as you can see in the photo)
    also buy two sets just in case you screw up (like I did), at $7.00 a set it is worth it.
    Here is a photo of my FSR MIM Jazz with block inlay Stickers
    [​IMG]
  6. gregmon79

That looks pretty sweet, good job. How would I use masking or artist tape to line it up better?
  7. Jiker75

Jiker75 The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

Excuse the bad photoshoppe job, but you just make guides on edge of the neck for reference with tape
    [​IMG]
  8. gregmon79

I see now. Good tip, think you.
  9. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

I got mine from Create Cuts. From their eBay store. They look good and they were easy to install.

Before and after pics of my Spector Performer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--jack