1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Inlay Installation Question.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gregmon79, Dec 5, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

So I wanted to get some block or triangle inlays for one of my basses. If they're triangle I was thinking of the ones that are on a lot of Ricks. Where would I find them? And what are they typically made of? Vinyl maybe? And are they just applied like tape or are they adhered another way? I have no exp with this sort of thing so I'm bringing to y'all. Thanks for the advice/help/input to those who comment.

Edit: This was also posted in the '"basses" forum and someone suggested I bring it here.
  2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

There are some places that sell "inlays" that are just stickers, you can look on ebay. Real inlays are actually inlaid into the wood, and are made from mother of pearl, abalone, wood, clay, etc (usually mother of pearl). If you want real ones, you can also check ebay, or you can look at stewmac.com lmii.com or some other places.
  3. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

4. gregmon79

Well I was thinking stickers. How hard would it be to actually put real inlays in a rosewood fretboard?
  5. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

You would need to have the tools to do it and know how to use them. I think a lot of people use dremels to route out the majority of the area, then chisels to clean up the edges. Then after they're glued in, you'd need a radius sanding block to sand the inlays down smooth to the fretboard, and that would be assuming that you take the frets out or it's a fretless. So, assuming that it's already got frets in it, I don't think I would suggest it.
  6. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

It's not particularly hard for someone who does it all the time. You would take the bass or just the neck to a luthier who would route the neck for the inlays, glue them in, and smooth everything so it's all level and smooth. It can get expensive because of the time it takes to do.*

*Unless you're comfortable with doing that work yourself.
  7. gregmon79

Yeeeaaaaahhhhh.... I'm not comfortable doing all that. Now if I had the tools, I would trust myself to attempt it. But when it comes to removing frets, idk anything. It would be nice to learn, get all the tools and get on a bass that's not so pricey. But I don't have the tools. And I can't spend the money on them right now. Maybe later down the road. I've always wanted to delve into doing this sort of stuff. I'll stick with the stickers for now. Thanks for all the input all.
  8. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Hey, if you get some $75 4 string bass or hell even just some old used neck off Craigslist or ebay, there's your project. A Dremel tool isn't expensive. If you want to do it, do it :)

You could probably even find someone on this site who would send you their useless old twisted up neck that's not good for anything just to get it out of their way.
  9. gregmon79

That's a helluvan idea. Never thought of that. Can you recommend a descent dermal?
  10. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Plus learning you could even use regular guitars to practice on. They are more plentiful/cheaper here than basses. I wish you luck!

P.S. - I have a friend who uses the sticker kind, and they actually hold up pretty well and come off fairly clean. Just in case you decide on that route. :ninja:

-Jake