Innovation Super Silvers?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Mar 15, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS

Has anyone heard anything about these strings yet? Brent Norton has them up on his website and he has a post about them at Rockabillybass.com. Maybe they aren't available to the public yet. I am wondering what the construction of these strings is like and if they can be bowed.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

They are also in Lemur Music's online catalog.

I wrote an email to Innovation to get info on these strings a few weeks ago.
    Here's the content:

Hello Francois
    The SUPER SILVER are for rock a billy/blue grass style
    playing, if you contact LEMURi am sure they can give you more info
    Regards Tony Roberts
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: <info@innovationstrings.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:04 AM
    Subject: Super Silvers?

Hi,
    on the Lemur Music website, on the Innovation strings page, in addition
    to the 140H, 140B and Rockabilly sets, they list a "Super Silvers" set.
    See
    http://www2.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/prodinfo.asp?number=S0990&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=23.
    What is this?
    I don't see them on your web site.

Best regards,
    Fran├žois Blais

===============

The most insipid answer I ever got from a company!
    Guess if I'll ever buy them! :)

3. JAS

JAS

I sent Innovation an email asking about these strings. I'll post with whatever info they respond with. To me, their Rockabilly strings sound interesting but I woun't try them just because they can't be bowed. Maybe these can be.

4. JAS

JAS

Here is what Innovation replied to my email.

"Hello Josh
    The super silver will bow,but how well i don't know because they are nylon
    wound.
    There are no ferrous metals used in these strings, so they will not work
    well with a magnetic pick up,hope this helps and thank you for your enquiry.
    Regards Tony Roberts"

So it sounds like these are somewhat similar in feel to the Eurosonics, but have a synthetic core instead of the steel core.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Francois Blais

I'm wondering what is the difference between them and their black-nylon rockabilly set.
    This one is also wrapped with nylon and uses a synthetic core...

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

That's one of the questions I'm still waiting to hear back on from Innovation. My feeling is that they're more or less the same string, different wrap:

The first pic is a shot of Innovation Rocakbillys. The black tape winding starting to separate from the E string, revealing a thin, round metal winding underneath.

The second pic is of the Super Silvers. Though difficult to capture the fine detail with my camera, you can see what appears to be a very similar-looking metal round winding under the very fine, crystal-clear nylon outer windings.

However, the inner core could be completely different for all I know. The two string types DO have a different tone, and I don't know that just a difference in outer windings could amount to the difference in tone. I'm hoping to have an answer soon...

Attached Files:

8. Francois Blais

Thanks for the info, Brent.
    And what's the tone difference between them?

9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

The SSs have a more organic, gut-like tone than the RABs. The Rockabillys are a decent synthetic slap string with the nice aside that they actually sound quite good for jazz pizz, with usable sustain, edge and growl... The SSs have a sound that's more round with a blunter attack and with quicker decay, approximating gut more closely - more of that 'old-school' flavor.

10. ERIC A

ERIC A

I have had a set of Super Silver Strings on my Christopher Hybrid bass for about month now. They are the closest to gut strings I have ever tried (and I have tried them all). They are thick, but have a comfortable tension, stay in tune and have decent sustain (like good gut stings). They are not as light as Eurosonic ultra, but are lighter than Eurosonic lights. I have had a good deal of compliments on way my bass sounds now (from Sax players no less).

11. hofner

hofner

i used Supersilvers before switching for a Damian string set and have to say that theu were the best nylon strings i ever used ! the closest to gut too, except for the tension.
    they have a very round and loud boomy sound with a nice decay.
    arco is not easy, but can be done, giving a deep growing sound...

12. kwd

kwd

Has anyone tried bowing these yet?

13. hofner

hofner

yes, as i say in the previous reply..
    but its not easy (arco slipp on the string due to the nylon)
    btw, its bowable and give a deep sound...

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I use the Labella 7710's and I found that if I rub rosin directly on the strings that I can bow them and get a pretty good sound (for me at least).

15. simpleybass

simpleybass

Brent, Eric, Hofner, or anyone who knows...

How does the tension differ between the Rockabillies and the Super Silvers?

Furthermore, any idea how would they would compare to the D & G tension of the pure gut La Bella 980s?

16. ERIC A

ERIC A

I can't speak to the rock-a-billy strings, but the Super Silver Strings are not as "bouncy" as gut or as warm/organic. Also, the tension is greater. But, they are still better than anything else I have tried.

17. hofner

hofner

tension is higher than the "rockabillies" . its still a low tension string, but close to the Eurosonics medium.
    closest strings to plain gut in sound, but not in tension !
    Innovation was working on a "lighter" version, more in the "slap" mind, but no news actually...

18. kwd

kwd

Just wanted to see if anyone else had tried bowing these since the last few posts. I know that people had success bowing the Eurosonics by roughing them up w/sandpaper.

I have varnished gut on the G,D and A now. I just can't bring myself to pay over $100 for a gut E string.

19. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

KWD, In that case I'd get a Innovation 140H or 140B E string. Bows well, matches OK with with gut, doen't cost a million. The H will be a little thinner and more sustaining than the B.

20. kwd

kwd

Bobby

I'd probably prefer the B to better match the decay of the gut A. I've heard that Innovations tend to be higher in tension than other strings. With my my bridge raised to accomodate the guts, isn't the pull going to take a lot of effort? That's why the SSs seemed attractive initially. I am also considering a solo Dominant E tuned down. ...thoughts? ...preferences?

21. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

I don't really find the Innovations to be particularly high-tension. My King bass has a 43 1/2 scale, too. :confused: