Input Jack Issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dustinfennessey, Nov 14, 2012.

1. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

So I have a Modulus VJ Active Bass as my primary right now. about 2 weeks ago I was playing and noticed it sounded "flat". Volume was the same but wasnt getting my normal tone. I thought it was the batteries but turns out if I jiggle the instrument cable by my jack it comes back to full force. I switched cables three times and its definately something with the guitar. When I jiggle the cable I get a loud popping noise like its losing connectivity and finding it again.

Ideas?

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Yeah, replace the OUTput Jack. It's stupid to deal with stuff like this that's simple to fix. The Jack is worn or dirty. You can try spraying a little DeOxit on a 1/4" plug and quickly inserting it and removing a few times. But in most cases you will wind up replacing the Jack so I'd just cut to the chase.

BTW, it's an output because that's the direction the signal flows; and understanding signal flow is critical to trouble shooting.

3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Welcome to the world of barrel jacks, which eventually loosen up, and cannot be fixed by bending/cleaning contacts. You can either replace it with another one, which will eventually, etc., or take the plunge, and modify the bass to take a Switchcraft stereo jack.

This is my Cirrus, converted to an electrsocket: [​IMG]

4. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Thanks for the response! Never had a problem with barrel jacks before so I'm surprised as it's so new. How much to convert to the other?

5. Register to disable this ad