Input level into fuzz question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wes stephenson, Aug 15, 2013.

1. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

I got a "Team Awesome" fuzz pedal in the quest to get some synth sounds out of my bass. I've been fooling with the pedal and over all have been pleased with it but not able to find exactly what I'm looking for. While playing around with it tonight i found something though...
    The unit has a noise gate built into it and when I turned the volume on my bass almost all the way down it gave the exact sound I've been looking for which is a real short super fuzzy note. The only problem is, obviously, my volume is cut to maybe a third of what it is when i run my bass wide open. Another problem is that at that point my input level is also too low to trigger the other pedals in my chain.
    Would a separate noise gate solve this problem? Or, do any of you guys know of something else I'm not thinking of? I'm super new to pedals so please help me out with any suggestions you might have. Thanks, guys!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would suggest trading the TAFM for a Mammoth or other gated fuzz. Nothing against the TAFM, it's great, but it looks like it's not exactly what you wanted.

3. wes stephenson

Right on. Thanks for the help! So there is such a thing as a gated fuzz? So, are there any other pedals that do what the mammoth does?

4. wes stephenson

Sorry, I know I obviously have a fuzz pedal with a built in gate. What I mean is, there are pedals with a more pronounced gate integrated into the pedal?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, gated fuzz is "a thing" as they say. My brain is not giving up the goods right now with names of the other options to try out. But see if searching on "gated" here in the forum turns up some answers.

7. wes stephenson

8. JohnDeereJack

JohnDeereJack

Some that spring to mind are Iron Ether Oxide, Zvex Wooly Mammoth & Fuzz Factory, Chunk System Brown Dog & I'm sure Devi Ever do gated fuzzes.

9. wes stephenson

Yeah man I bought a zvex fuzz factory last night. We will see....