Input on New Purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BJMtz, Feb 3, 2013.

1. BJMtz

BJMtz

The time is nigh for my next bass purchase so I'm looking to get some input from you all who have more experience than I do. I currently own a Peavy Grind 4 that I use to gig. I'm not looking to necessarily upgrade rather just have a different option available to me. I've thus far narrowed it down to a few choices and here's what they are:
    a) Fender Standard PBass (maple neck)
    b) Squier Vintage Modified PBass however I would also purchase a different neck, probably a Mighty Might replacement neck. 1) I like a slimmer neck like on my Grind so a Jazz neck would be nice 2) I like the look of maple necks on PBasses much more than rosewood
    c) Kramer Disciple
    d) Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Ray4. Like the PBass I love the look of maple necks on these type of basses. The only one offered with maple is the black but I'm not too fond of it. If I knew where I could get a pick guard in a different color I think that may make me think more seriously about this bass.

Any input on these would be awesome. I'm not looking to buy used. The used market isn't great where I live and I don't much like the idea of buying something used over the internet where I can't see all the details and make sure it functions properly.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

But, as I'm suggestin' you the Fender Standard Precision with maple neck (I once had and deeply miss:bawl:) I don't get how you're sayin' you're gonna go for new when, if all other examples are, more or less, on equal price tag, MIM Fender Precision is goin' for nearly 50% more.

Other than that: sure go for it

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. BJMtz

BJMtz

I realize those basses vary some in price. I can and would pay for a new fender pbass if that's what I end up choosing. Those 4, are just the ones I've come to like the look of. Why the reason for the Squire? I guess because it's a pbass and I would be able to change out the neck to one I would prefer more. If I were to buy a fender I wouldn't change the neck out for a while but I would at some point to a jazz neck.

4. topo morto

topo morto

Aren't they all kind-of-the-same-as-what-you-already-have? Why not a 5 or a fretless or a shortscale or something?

5. Register to disable this ad