1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Inset Control Wheels

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by F-Clef-Jef, Jan 13, 2014.

1. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Help!
    I am planning my controls for my next build, and am thinking I'd really like to have flush mounted volume & tone controls, similar to the tone controls on the upper horn of a Fender Jaguar bass. Problem is, I don't have the slightest idea of what those things are called, (Fender calls them "inset control wheels", but a search on Google turned up nothing) or if they are dependable/robust enough to use as my main vol & tone controls. Or..., where to get them.

Anybody got some hints, clues or outright help for me?

2. line6man

line6man

They are called thumbwheel controls.

3. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Thanks line6man.

The search begins...

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Mouser.com > potentiometers > thumb wheel > 25k/50k/250k/500k (or whatever resistance value you need)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

The switches on old Jags/Jazzmasters/Duosonics had a bad reputation for reliability because they were more easily damaged by smoke and sweat than Tele and Strat switches, but I don't know of anything about inset pots/knobs that should give you a reliability concern.

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

Ha! I ordered some a few months ago to put a little volume control in the tiny sound hole of a uke. I had the same problem.

I'm not sure thumbwheel pots are what you need though. Jags actually just have normal pots mounted on a right-angled bracket and controlled with a particular knob.

[​IMG]

8. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

That looks like the best idea, using regular pots. I'd just have to work out some sort of mounting bracket.

Thanks for the help, folks!