1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Inset Control Wheels

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by F-Clef-Jef, Jan 13, 2014.

1. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Help!
    I am planning my controls for my next build, and am thinking I'd really like to have flush mounted volume & tone controls, similar to the tone controls on the upper horn of a Fender Jaguar bass. Problem is, I don't have the slightest idea of what those things are called, (Fender calls them "inset control wheels", but a search on Google turned up nothing) or if they are dependable/robust enough to use as my main vol & tone controls. Or..., where to get them.

Anybody got some hints, clues or outright help for me?
  2. line6man

line6man

They are called thumbwheel controls.
  3. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Thanks line6man.

The search begins...
  4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Mouser.com > potentiometers > thumb wheel > 25k/50k/250k/500k (or whatever resistance value you need)
  5. lz4005

lz4005

The switches on old Jags/Jazzmasters/Duosonics had a bad reputation for reliability because they were more easily damaged by smoke and sweat than Tele and Strat switches, but I don't know of anything about inset pots/knobs that should give you a reliability concern.
  6. RobbieK

RobbieK

Ha! I ordered some a few months ago to put a little volume control in the tiny sound hole of a uke. I had the same problem.

I'm not sure thumbwheel pots are what you need though. Jags actually just have normal pots mounted on a right-angled bracket and controlled with a particular knob.

[​IMG]
  7. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

That looks like the best idea, using regular pots. I'd just have to work out some sort of mounting bracket.

Thanks for the help, folks!