Inset strap locks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jsxtal, Feb 8, 2014.

1. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would Love inset strap locks on my fender bass and also my empire Fodea. Does anyone know if these are available to purchase and easily installed on a bass that came with regular strap buttons?
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Buying them is easy. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/flush-mount

Installing them on an existing bass is touchy. There are significant risks to chipping the finish and/or cracking the body itself. Not a job for the inexperienced or the faint of heart.
  3. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome, thanks.
  4. trowaclown

trowaclown

You can check out Loxx straplocks. I moved from Dunlop to them, and the strap is now much closer to the body of the bass, enough to be negligibly different from a flush mounted straplock.
  5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

^^^This

A good luthier can even recess the non-flushmount specific Dunlops...but all the above caveats re: finish chipping etc. still apply.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Usually, the new straplock pins will fit with the existing screws. I always used the Schaller Straplocks and mounted them by unscrewing the old pins and then replacing the pins with the new ones, using the same screws. A tiny pinch of wood-glue on the tip of the screw will secure it and if you're careful to get the screw in just like it was, you'll be fine.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Depending on the year your Fender was made, you may already have them installed.
  8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

These are both good points but the OP is talking about strap buttons that are fully recessed into the body like this:

[​IMG]
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

those are cool right up until the gig where you forget your strap, because you won't be borrowing one that works from anybody else either.
  10. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the Dunlop flush mount strap locks on ebay and they should arrive in a couple of days. I ordered a complete set, and also a pair of just the mounts the recess (only 6$)
    This way I'll see how it goes on my fender. And if It goes smooth and I like it I'll put it in the fodera. The fodera will be coming in the mail this week so I'm not eager to start customizing. I have a good amount of woodwork experience so it should go fine.
    Also I know I won't EVER part with my fender 72 Jazz
  11. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

Good point! I guess I'll be adding strap locks to go on the spare strap I keep in my car for such an occasion.
    I highly recommend it. I keep a backup power cable, neck tie, 2 quarter inch cables, strings, 9v adapters, batteries, a strap and drum sticks

The drum sticks are for saving the day.
  12. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

What kind of bass is that ?
  13. MattZilla

MattZilla Supporting Member

Is this an inside joke with the op? It must be as I have not once in almost twenty years of gigging heard "I forgot my strap".

[​IMG]
    Following the instructions to the letter, it's no problem to set the lip of the lok on the paint. A good luthier could do the full inset thing with ease and likely charge less than $40.
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i've seen guys sitting down on gigs because they forgot the strap a few times now :rollno:

still, big +1 to the idea of just having spares of random things like this stashed behind your car seats or whatever, that can definitely save the day.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I keep one each of three strap types in my gig bag; one with no strap locks, one with Schaller strap locks and one with Dunlop strap locks. These are Levy's heavy nylon straps. I usually take a wide leather strap with the appropriate type of locks on it for the bass I'm playing, but just in case ...
  16. JGbassman

JGbassman

true story. guitar player forgot his strap for out of town gig in the sticks. we made him one out of gaffers tape. worked quite well actually.
  17. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I did once when I was 19. Since then, I have given each of my basses it's own strap that is always attached. It's a bit more expensive, but this way I can have each strap height set for each bass and there's no way I can forget a strap.
  18. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    hey man things happen and people forget things. I was riding to a sunday morning gig once with the drummer and half way there he turns to me and says
    "I forgot my drums..."
    same weekly gig but with a different drummer a year later we show up and this guy forgot his cymbals! that sucked...
  19. the explode man

the explode man

20. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Actually, that has not been my experience on Fender and Musicman basses. In both cases, had to use Dunlop screws.Stock screws are flared and larger and won't fit in hole in the pin. Dunlop screws have a narrower head and are almost always longer than the stock ones.