1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Inspiring people and the people that inspired you.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Mar 11, 2014.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

I'd have to say that one of the coolest parts about music is the idea that you are creating something bigger than yourself. To break it down even further the art that you create is something that outlasts the instance in which it was born.

One of the most humbling experiences is having someone tell you that you have inspired them in some way... It may happen all the time or rarely, but it is something to be treasured.

There are people on this forum that inspire and I am incredibly thankful for it. I still remember the musician that turned to me when I was 14 and said "Don't be another guitar player, be a bass player and you'll never be without a band"... Life changed!

It's good to tip your hat to the people that share their expression, experience, knowledge... etc. in a way that fuels you. It is even better to consciously be that inspiration to someone else.

Today... Cheers to you JohnK! Now I just got find a way to pay it forward.

2. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

3. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

You inspired Jackie Robinson?...impressed. ha ha

4. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

There are a few guys who used to come to our shows when they were scrappy little 14 year old kids. One now runs a club and has been in several very successful bands. Another one also played in several successful bands. Yet another is now in a band that is gaining popularity very quickly. Even to this day, people who came to our shows recognize me when we play out and thank me for having an impact on them to pick up an instrument or just for being cool when we had shows. Whether it was inviting them up on stage to help sing songs, or just talking to them at the shows those memories stuck because that band called it quits 14 years ago. Its a nice feeling to know that youve inspired people, but I wouldn't have been able to be an inspiration without also being inspired. As a scrappy 14 year old kid myself, my friend's older brother inspired me that you can play metal but still be a nice guy to people and that it's ok to be "smart". Because of him, I decided to balance a band with an education, and to be excellent to everyone.

5. Register to disable this ad