Installed a Hipshot Xtender (detuner) but it`s not working

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Papersen, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

Here`s the story:

I sometimes use a low D in some of my band`s tunes.
    Some of 5 strings basses work great for this but I feel more comfortable with 4ers.

I decide to add a Hipshot Xtender to reach that low D without the need of an extra string. I followed the instalation and tuning procedures that came with it, but can`t tune properly.
    The bass is a Warwick Streamer Stage 2.

The point is: when I flip down the lever it doesn`t reach a whole tone. I`ve tried adjusting the tuning screw that comes with it without success.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this ?

2. fenderphil

fenderphil

did you grease the fulcrum point? a dab of vaseline works wonders

also, make sure you didnt tighten the unit too tight to the headstock.

3. Buskman

Buskman

Hipshot has a tutorial video:

4. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

I've noticed that I have to adjust my thumbscrew a bit flat, flip it up, then down again, and it lands in tune. A bit of fiddling will help it to settle into place.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

It's much like gettng a Fender Strat style guitar to work with the trem. You need to eliminate friction, especially at the nut. A bit of graphite (pencil lead works OK, but I bought a tube of graphite powder at a hardware store when I got my first Hipshot back in the '80s, and I'm still working on the first tube) in the nut slot will help a lot. The other thing is patience. You'll need to spend some time with it when it's new to get it in tune both ways. But once it's set, it's quick and easy.

I've been using them for over 20 years, and have never had any problem with them except on two basses (out of about 12 basses I've had with Hipshots). On my Hammer Cruise basses, the E string tuner was very close to the A string tuner. Depending on where the tuniing machine head was pointed when it was in tune, it would hit the A string machine when I dropped down. That's not a problem with the Hipshot, but with the way it worked on that particular headstock.

jte

7. Papersen

Thanks for the input guys.

I`ll apply some graphite to see if it works better.
    I still think that there`s some wrong with the adjacent tuner.
    Unfortunately I don`t have the bass with me right now to take a pic, but looks similar to this (gold hardware in my case)

[​IMG]

When I flip the lever down, the G string tuner seems to be on the way. I`ve tried by adjusting the tuning screw to both extremes but doesn`t seem to work.

I`ll try again and will let you know the results.

Thanks

8. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

If a separate tuner is simply in the way, then you're bound by the design of your headstock and there's little you can do. The entire Xtender Key structure will swivel in place as the note goes from E to D (or whatever note you've chosen); if the other 3 tuners don't allow the Xtender Key to swivel freely then I would think your only option is to start filing metal off where the two make contact with each other.

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    dead on mate. Warwicks have been problematic depending on their headstocks are laid out. I have had some that were spot on, and others that were a no go.

10. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

OOH OOH OOH! I GOT A FIX FOR YOU!

You'd have to be willing to re-drill small holes for the set screws at the bottom of each tuning peg, though.

If you take those ittybitty screws out, you can place the tuner anywhere you want on the axis of the peg. What I mean is, you can straighten them out, the way you'd see them on a standard 2x2 headstock. You would then have enough room for the hipshot to maneuver however it will, and your worries would be over! :D

11. Papersen

My guitar player suggested the same but I`m not planning to drill holes in the headstock. Besides, I like those angles tuners.

12. Papersen

I contacted Hipshot Customer service and here`s the answer

My name is Bill and I'm a Tech at Hipshot. I sorry to hear of the problem with our Xtender on your bass. Warwick has the slanted tuners on their basses which will not allow the Xtender to work properly. The lever that is used to drop the tuner sounds like it hitting the G-string tuner before it can drop fully. A raised lever can be added to your Xtender but this would involve sending us your Xtender and there is a $35.00 up-charge for the service. Along with the lever we would also have to add a stop to prevent the lever from over traveling.

So that`s it. It can be solved and doesn`t require extra holes in the headstock.

I`ll surely post some pics once it`s done, but I consider this an important point for those who plan installing Hipshot Xtenders on their Warwicks.

13. fourstringssii

fourstringssii

I was able to get mine to work by taking it apart and filing down part of the arm. If you look at where the arm hits the rotating plate you'll see the flat part makes contact when tuned to e but when you open the arm to drop to d (you'll see the arm makes contact with the tuning peg of the opposing string preventing it from fully opening and thus being a little sharp ) it moves to the curved part of the arm. Start filing down the curved part of the arm (very slowly...it doesn't take much) put it back together and test it then repeat (important!! Only remove a tiny tiny amount at a time) it worked great for me. Be careful and good luck

14. Papersen

Wow, I had forgotten about this thread !

Well, back then I received the raised lever Warwick CS suggested. Tried to install it but couldn't do it properly (my setup skills are horrible), so I kept it in its box till now.

Will try to follow your suggestions, but won't do it myself.
    Thanks.

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I just installed one on my 2009 Ric 4003. I called Hipshot first and talked to a guy that was great...he stayed on the phone with me for over a half hour, gave me measurements and was very helpful. With the Rics, he told me, it can work but it all depends on that particular bass and how much room there is. Luckily, it worked great for me. In my bands setlist, we will have a song that is drop D, then one that isnt, then one that is. So this is going to help alot.