1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Instruction book that explores multiple techniques and styles?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Octaves, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Octaves

Octaves

Hi there,

I'm looking for an instruction book that provides an explanation and theoretical overview on each style of playing, eg, rock, funk, soul, roots, samba, latin etc.

I've recently discovered that I am okay working within the 4/4 framework, but want to expand my horizons. Latin and Samba (are they the same thing) really appeals to me. As does funk. I've downloaded Esperanza Spalding's "I know, you know" notation from Simon Merrick's Bassment website (thanks Simon if you're reading). I know it's in 4/4, but it seems to have a swing feel to it.

I know there is a book available that is similiar to what i am describing, i just can't recall the title.
  2. Octaves

Octaves

I'm thinking maybe it's the Bass Bible by Mel Bay.

There is another similiar one available. If anyone thinks of the name, please let me know. :)
  3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I thought pretty much every book have some riff in many different style of music ...

But in the end they are pretty much all in 4/4 or 3/4 where the accent aren,t at the same place.

if you really want to explore I think you should check out some prog or some stravinsky. You'll find 5/4, 3/2, 11/8 or 5/8 etc.
  4. musomark

musomark

Ed Freidland book: Bass Grooves(http://www.edfriedland.com/books/) explores all the different subdivisions of the beat in a great deal of depth. It then looks at how these are applied in different styles with loads of examples.

It really gave me a concrete way of understanding different grooves rather than just trying to remember a feeling.
  5. Octaves

Octaves

Cool. Thanks :)
  6. BeowulfKingsley

BeowulfKingsley

The Bass Bible by Paul Westwood, published by Mel Bay. Gives an overview of LOTS of world styles, with recorded examples. A great place to get started with what you're after.
    I haven't read the Ed Freidland book, but really he doesn't write any bad ones. Get 'em both!