1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Instruction book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lasdisc, Jan 20, 2014.

1. lasdisc

lasdisc

Can anyone recommend a good beginner/intermediate
    bass instruction book? There's so many out there I don't
    know which ones are good.
    TIA

2. wrench45us

wrench45us

This is very difficult to do because we don't know what level of beginner/intermediate and everybody likes their learning formatted to the way they like to learn.

For a very comprehensive and well thought out lesson plan, I'd recommend Roy Vogt's 'Teach Me Bass Guitar' DVD series. It covers the gambit.

If you're more interested in focusing in on a particular style or genre, I'd recommend Ed Friedland's books. or very general beginning Ed's Hal Leonard Bsss Method.

3. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

dont forget studybass.com

4. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

You can find some really good bass lessons on youtube, such as the videos from MarloweDK or Scottbasslessons.

Otherwise, the Hal Leonard method is quite popular.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Everything mentioned has value. For a complete beginner I would recommend the book Bass Guitar For Dummies. It starts you off with how to hold the beast, how to tune it, etc. The patterns and graphs are second to none.

Pick ONE and go from there.

www.studybass.com is free. Edit - it was looks like it is changing...
    Dummies is probably at your local library. If not will cost less than $20.

7. belacqua16

belacqua16

8. pfox14

pfox14

9. INTP

INTP

For a beginner, the Hal Leonard Bass Method by Ed Friedland is good.

Moving toward the intermediate level, I'm impressed with Serious Electric Bass by Joel di Bartolo. It is quite thorough in teaching what I'd refer to as applied theory--scales, modes, chords, intervals, etc., applied to the bass guitar. Some might find it dry, but the information it conveys through it's exercises would help one play just about any music you're likely to encounter. My only nit is that it is not spiral bound, but I took it to kinkos and had that done for a few bucks.

10. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

+1 for Ed's 3 method books (Beginner)

Took me about 6 months with an instructor (weekly) to finish all 3 - I went for Ed's Building Walking Bass Lines after those.

11. basskal77

basskal77