Instrument Cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JackBruceFan, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JackBruceFan

Apr 29, 2012
    I have tried a couple of different brands of cables and they all seem to bunch up into knots that don't come apart easily.

Would appreciate any recommendations for cables that are more prone to stay unbunched.

I have tried monster, fender and planet waves...Thanks & Happy Holidays Cheers
  2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Wireless FTW! They never come up in knots...
  3. icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Oblong cables should be more available.
  4. Sponsored by:

5. cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Vovox don't tangle much and have worked very well for me for some years now.
    My Analysis Plus Pro Oval Studio is also not prone to tangling up.
    I tried a Rheingold cable which did not like tangling either.
    Here the links:
  6. YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    Do you wing them by wrapping around your and and elbow like wrapping an extension cord?
  7. bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    It's all how you coil and uncoil.
  8. I just fold mine in half like 4 times and jam 'em in the bag. It's not perfect, but I don't have too many tangle problems.
  9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
  10. Dakotah

Dec 21, 2011
    Port Richey,FL
    Been using wireless also,for couple years now and wouldn't go back.Always keep spare 9V's with you though.
  11. elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  12. I also prefer wireless, but if that's out of the question, twead would be my next choice.
  13. jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Not knowing your coiling habits, I'd say you need to coil them better. I use all sorts of cables, and even cheap ones last me a long time, and keep a perfect shape.

When you're coiling, give the cable a quarter turn or so for each coil. The cable should lay freely, without any tension. This will be easy with new cables, even easier with cables that you've already done this with, and durn near impossible with cables that are already tangled.

Also, leaving cables plugged in in precarious positions for long periods can wonkify their shape.
  14. you're not supposed to wrap extension cords that way either.
  15. KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Aside from coiling them. Keep em short, don't buy a 20 ft if you only need 10 ft.
  16. JackBruceFan

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks to Scott, Bloo and all
    . I have taken much more care when winding the cables and it makes a world of difference. Folding in half and then again rather than doing the elbow wrap thing works..
  17. 2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    We call it a Roady Roll
  18. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use the springy pre coiled ones. Never one tangle problem.
  19. Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    Everyone should learn the "over under" technique for coiling your cables. I've been doing this for about ten years and have never had a cable fail during that time. But more importantly, when un-coiling the cable, you just grab the ends and fling the coils out away from you for a nice, untangled, ready-to-use cable. There are dozens of videos on YouTube.
  20. ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I never use that wrap except with cables that are already plugged in when I am neatening up the stage. It's great for that. With a roadie wrapped cable, if a cable end falls through the loop when it's in your gig bag, when you toss it out it has a bunch of knots in it. I hate that.

I just throw in a half twist on every loop and shake it out when I unwrap it. It works for me; YMMV.