1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Instrument Cable

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dremy2006, Jan 1, 2013.

1. dremy2006

dremy2006

Happy New Year my friends...!! :hyper:

I want to make a instrument cable with 4, 1/4" plugs.... two on each end.. my question is what kind of cable can I use? and can I use a 4 conductor speaker cable to get this done? its for my keyboard out to my DI box...don't want to go the two cable rout.. just one cable that "Y's" out to (2) 1/4" plugs one angle one str8... thanks
  2. line6man

line6man

3. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Take 2 instrument cables and an excessive amount of electrical/duct/gaffers tape.
    Problem: SOLVED!
  4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    You need shielded cable with at least 4 conductors.
    Maybe S-video cable would work?
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Canare, Belden and Mogami all make 4-conductor mic cable. Try Markertek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. dremy2006

dremy2006

Ok..... thanks all... this really helps
  7. Hactar

Hactar

Canare Star Quad is an excellent 4-cond small signal cable. It's very nice to work with.
    IIRC, it's cheaper than Mogami Neglex Quad (also a very good cable choice).
  8. ex-tension

ex-tension

9. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I make most of my cables with the Canare Star Quad ($.51/ft), but I've done a few with Mogami Neglex Quad ($1.29/ft) - both are superb is noise rejection.
  10. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use two cables taped (or loomed) together. Looming cables (with PVC electrical tape not gaff or duct tape unless you enjoy sticky goo messes) is how every pro audio company on the planet would deal with it in a live rig. It's beyond ultra common....you won't see a medium to large rig where it isn't done. Other than an extremely minimal aesthetic difference there's no advantage at all to building a single cable.
  11. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Disagree. A single cable is going to be a lot easier to handle than two taped together, and it'll be more durable in the long run. Sooner or later, the tape is going to start to deteriorate and come undone. Too messy. A properly-constructed cable is going to look more professional, too.
  12. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Why do I have the sudden urge to come into your lab and tell you how to store test tubes? ....um, ok it's gone.

Really it doesn't matter enough to seriously argue about. If the difference in looks makes a difference to you that's probably reason enough to use a single cable. I was just offering observations based on thirty years of doing this kinda thing for a living and seeing hundreds of rigs.

One very practical consideration I'll leave you with is that in multi conductor cable where the ends break out of the cable jacket will always be more vulnerable to damage than a single conductor cable where the jacket goes into the plug barrel and is strain relieved with heat shrink.

Oh, and speaking of heat shrink if tape is too messy and short term you can loom cables with sort pieces of light duty heat shrink. It actually looks very clean and will last as long as the cables will.
  13. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I'm just kind of anal about cables and the like. While I'm not a professional sound engineer, I've owned the PA and run the sound in every band I've been in since 1977. I make all my own patch cables and most of my instrument and mic cables. So it's a simple matter for me to make custom cables (series speaker cables, for instance) to meet whatever my needs are. I have loomed cables together with bands of heat shrink and it's fine, but I prefer to have everything as tidy as possible. I'm not constrained by time, as you might be when someone else is paying for it.
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

2 regular cables, sleeved together with that braided mesh sleeve stuff; much more durable, no sticky goo, and no crosstalk between them from not being separated by a shield.

no weird, fragile Y-cable splices for me, please.
  15. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    How about normal, robust Y-splices? The splice in my serial cable would survive a tug-of-war better than the plain cable.
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

fair enough, and i suppose there's no getting around it for a series cable.
  17. Mickey8297

Mickey8297

18. ulrich

ulrich

I had a similar project, requiring four, RCA connectors at each end. I used Mogami 2931 Multi Microphone Cable. I just left the extra wire unconnected. For two channel use Mogami 2930.

Edit: channels in the above cables are individually shielded.

Mic cable may have a bit more capacitance than instrument cable. My cable is short, and line level, so I don't care.

I just used a lot of shrink tubing on the ends. If that's not good enough, you can try "cable pants". http://www.parts-express.com/cat/cable-pants/2120