Instrument HIGH Z on AVALON 737 how to use????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cesarin bass, Mar 6, 2014.

1. cesarin bass

cesarin bass

Hello everybody
    I have a question with this input HIGH Z on Avalon
    I have a fender jazz bass with a 9 volt battery in the back.(This mean active) also I don't know if it is low impedance or high impedance OUTPUT

Anyway,in order to record this Fender Jazz Bass, is better to connect directly to this input HIGH Z in the Avalon? Or I have to use some pream or DI before?

Also,There is a LINE INPUT connector on the back panel in the Avalon Preamp.

Wich is INPUT is recommended and why?
    Some help please with my question.:hyper:
    Thank You

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Use the high z input, that's exactly what it's meant for.

The line input on the back wants a line level signal. Your bass puts out an instrument level signal.

3. line6man

line6man

The output impedance of your bass is irrelevant, unless you have unbuffered piezos. Since your instrument has a preamp, its output impedance is lower than that of a standard passive bass. That means you don't need to worry about the input impedance on your gear, because you're not exceeding the output impedance that it was spec'd to work with.

A minor technical note, however, is that excessively high input impedances cause thermal noise, as thermal noise is proportional to resistance. This is the reason you only find 10M input impedance on things like piezo buffers. However, with a buffered bass into 1M, it's really not significant.