Instrument Impedance Mismatch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by down1octave, Jan 1, 2014.

1. down1octave

down1octave

Hello Fellow Bottom Generators! My bass generates a fat tone and input into some amps and yet the signal is attenuated around 30 dB into others. It is a budget boomer that I hot rodded with after market pickups from Bartolini and DiMarzio and the sonic improvement was well worth it, yet the mismatch issue remains.
    Any suggestions (aside from the use of an inline preamp) for a diy'er like me are appreciated from the bottom of my open E string!
    :confused:
  2. line6man

line6man

Impedance mismatches would not cause 30dB attenuations, unless they were very extreme. Those are standard high impedance pickups. They will work with anything that has a standard 1M Ohm input impedance, or even the 500k Ohm input impedances that are becoming common these days. It sounds like something else is to blame.

In any case, if you think that the input impedance of your amp is to blame, try lowering the output impedance of the bass by buffering the output.
  3. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

I would try a different instrument cable, I've seen a shoddy cable cause all sorts of issues, including receiving short wave radio.