Intense buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RxFunk, Feb 13, 2013.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

I'm getting this really loud buzzing sound whenever I play my bass. It didn't happen when I first bought it, it only started after I took all the tuners off(to polish them, it was a used bass, and it was really dirty). It sounds like there is something rattling around inside of the tuning peg itself(perhaps a washer:confused:). The sound is the worst on open strings, but is still present on fretted notes as well. Has anyone had this problem before? Are the tuning pegs not tightened enough? Are they too tight?:help:
  2. RxFunk

RxFunk

I don't know if this matters at all, but here's a pic of the headstock, so you guys can see what kind of tuners they are View attachment 317672
  3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Play a string and while it rings press on the back of each peg and squeze the elephant ear.

If you find a peg where the noise is reduced or stops you found the culprit. The trick is figureing out want's causing it.
  4. RxFunk

RxFunk

How should I fix the buzzing sound after that?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you have removed all the strings you will need to do a setup. Never remove all the strings from your bass.

Look up a setup guide and follow it step by step, I prefer Jerzy Drozd's. It should answer your questions and resolve your issue.
  7. famousbirds

famousbirds

This is absolutely not true. There are plenty of things you do that merit a setup, but taking all the strings off is not one of them.
  8. RxFunk

RxFunk

What tool do I need to fix this View attachment 317689 It's a '93 Peavey Foundation.
  9. famousbirds

famousbirds

That's the truss rod nut. You adjust it to alter the curvature (or "relief) in the neck.

What's wrong with it - is the buzzy bit?
  10. RxFunk

RxFunk

I can't get an allen wrench to fit in it well enough to adjust it. Do the Peavey's from then require a different tool? I thought I read a while back that some of them require the same tool to adjust as Gibsons do. Is that true?
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I can assure with you 100% certainty from lots of experience that this is the case with many if not most basses and probably what happened here. The bass neck is under such pressure that the strings are required to hold it in place, once you remove the strings you have no counter weight. When basses are shipped from factory they are shipped with strings on tuned up for this reason.

OP, you are going to need a hex wrench, Idon't know what size your bass needs, sorry.
  12. RxFunk

RxFunk

It's generally a 3/16, correct? I tried that, and it was too large to fit into the hole even. The hole I noticed upon closer inspection appears to be round anyway? I'm quite confused.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

RxFunk, STOP. NOW.

Based on the questions you are asking, you need to do some homework before you start twisting and tweaking on things. Don't pick up a wrench until you have learned more than you know now.

Read the stickies in this forum about setups. Read ALL the information from a couple of sites about how to do setups. When you have done that, the posts you have read here will make more sense to you.

Then - and only then - get a wrench set with the correct size wrench in it, and adjust the neck (if needed) as part of a complete setup.

And no, removing all the strings at one time does not automatically require a setup. Not true.
  14. RxFunk

RxFunk

Thanks Pilgrim, I have read some of the stickies already, I'll go back and see if my questions can be answered there.
  15. famousbirds

famousbirds

That's true. But if you apply the exact same tension as before (i.e. put on the same brand and gauge of strings as before), you get more or less get the same setup as before.

Of course, you do have to make the occasional seasonal tweak. But nothing about having all the strings off damages the bass or changes the adjustment of the bridge or neck.

What happens if I loosen all the strings, say, for shipping a bass. Does tuning them back up require a setup?
  16. famousbirds

famousbirds

Is the truss rod nut the source of the buzz? Is it loose to the touch? Does it stop buzzing if you touch it?

If so, take your bass into a repair shop to have them correct this. The only time you should ever touch the truss rod is if you are specifically trying to change the relief of the neck.

FWIW - you can use a socket-type wrench for that type of truss rod, like:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Truss_rods/Hex_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html
  17. RxFunk

RxFunk

No, I believe the source is a washer inside of the tuning peg.
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

AH! Good for you. Then you're on the right path. Just make darn sure that any hex wrench you use on that truss rod nut is the correct fit, and seat it deeply in the nut before turning. They're tough to work with when they get stripped out.
  19. famousbirds

famousbirds

Then you can leave the truss rod alone, that picture looks fine.

Well, what can I say? Identify the guilty tuner, make sure it's nice and snug. If that doesn't fix it, remove the tuner and have a look. It's hard to say without seeing it, but you'll either figure out the thing of it and fix it, buy a replacement, or take it into a shop.
  20. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

It's a 5/16 Gibson Style nut. My Peavey Patriot has the same one. 8-9 bucks at Stewmac
  21. RxFunk

RxFunk

Thanks, I knew it wasn't a standard style nut. I'll definitely be buying one of those tools.