1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Interest in synth bass

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by levonrocks, Dec 20, 2012.

1. levonrocks

levonrocks

I recently read your interview in Bass Player magazine, and I found it very interesting. You mentioned how you sometimes record synth bass lines on a mini-moog, and then put bass guitar on top of the synth bass parts. I want to start using synth bass a little bit, but I don't want it to sound unnatural. Do you have any tips? Can you recommend a particular synthesizer that would be inexpensive?
  2. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

try a used Mopho :)
  3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

I'm not sure that I'm ever concerned with anything becoming "unnatural", it's only ever about the right sounds for the right application. If, for instance, the style of music you work on doesn't call for that sort of interplay, then it's probably the incorrect application.

Used Mopho, sure...but better yet, just get some cool synth plugs for your DAW and a midi controller...done, and very affordable.

JMJ
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Synth by its nature is "unnatural." That's the beauty of it! Go with it and just try to get sounds that work for the songs you're doing. Trying to make it sound "natural" defeats the purpose of it IMHO.