interested in building a bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chrispunx, Nov 21, 2012.

1. chrispunx

chrispunx

so i'm very interested in building a bass cab...two to be precise. i don't recall seeing a list of names who do this regularly. if anyone has suggestions feel free to ask. the cabs i want to build are clones of the jcm 800 bass series the 1520(4x12) and the 1552(2x15). before i get flack for "whats the reason behind matching the 4x12 and the 2x15?" put it simply, i don't like 10's and 12 have a better mid sound to me. so 4x12 instead of 4x10s is just my taste. also 2x15 to give it a little more bottom end. i got the dimensions from a member on the marshall forums but outside of that where do i start? the sidewinder speakers are no longer in production, so i would have to find speakers. the music i play with my band is similar to this:

i'll be playing very heavily distorted, so is tuning the cab important if i'm playing this way? i've got the WinISD downloaded, but i honestly can't make heads or tails of it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The first thing you need to do before you attempt building a cab is to put all your misconceptions about speaker sizes to rest. If what you were saying about speaker size were true, then all speakers of a given size would sound exactly the same, and one of the lowest reaching cabs on the planet wouldn't be a 410 (Ampeg SVT 410hlf).
  3. David Jayne

David Jayne

Oh.
    Dear.
    Lord.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

To the op, check out bfm plans, fEARful plans, and TL-606 plans. These cabs may not be your cupotea, but there is a lot of perspective to be gained.

There is a lot more to building a good bass cab than slapping drivers in a box ala Marshall.
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Angry young man? I listened to to the first two tracks, enough for me.

There isn't much of any low bass in the first one, more the fault of the recording than what you would be aiming for live. They slotted the bass into where you would normally be blown away by a guitar 4x12 wall of death and left all the lows to the drums.

If you would like your distortion to be heard properly you don't want 4x12 because they beam worse than 4x10 and sound even worse off axis.

If you are planning on PA, a pair of 2x12 vertical will do you great for the stage. Less is more so you don't compete with the PA. If no PA, big bad 1515/66 Fearful and a big amp will let you hang with stupid loud guitars and drums.

Wear earplugs.
  6. chrispunx

chrispunx

OK, never mind guys. Sorry for asking for advise. If any mods see this, please delete the thread. Please and thanks.
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I meant to suggest 2x12 vertical.
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Now, now......before you get all discouraged and throw in the towel just because a couple on the internet slammed you down and basically said "don't do it, it'll never work, play what I play instead", what are your goals for this effort?

What amp, what other styles of music? How big of places do you play? Does your band have PA support all the time? Sometimes? Never?

For practical places, it might be wise to cut the number of spealers in half to begin with. You can always make another one to stack with it later.

It sounds to me as if you might like a 2-way design, utilizing woofers built specifically for the bottom end, bit then have guitar speakers play the mids and topend for some character and grit. This could also be achieved by using single drivers that provide ample bottom, though not subwoofer type bottom, and maintain good upper response and give a nice breakup sound when you push them just a little too far.

Something with perhaps a strong woofer, or 2, combined with a single guitar speaker. Or perhaps stick to a better laid out 412 with just the right driver choice.

Clammy should be along to tell you your idea is not nuts, but instead brilliant. But he plays big, loud places with that stuff.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Everyone's heroes are playing big places but us plebs playing clubs and bars can't make good use of 4x14 + 2x15 without sounding like crap.

I sometimes do sound for punk bands with a half decent house PA. The ones that listen to me and keep it down on stage are still freaking loud but at least the PA can make a passable job of the vocals. The ones that don't bury all their musicianship in a wall of noise.

The fidelity of a distorted sound can still be wrecked by over enthusiasm.
  10. chrispunx

chrispunx

That's who I got the dimensions from! Haha. I put up a similar thread in the summer and got slammed for what I wanted to try, sorry if I didn't seem enthusiastic about the negative comments right off the bat. I play in small clubs and rooms, I like to play loud and distorted, I have never been a fan of the 10s sound, 12s appealed to me more. I also like the over all menacing look of a stack. So its cosmetic and ear shattering appeal that I like about the combination. I'm in the market for a new head. Atm I have a gk backline 600 looking to upgrade to eventually a tube. But a Randall head from the 80s is calling my name. Basically for the price.
  11. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691

Do you play with pa support??
  12. chrispunx

chrispunx

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Very true. That's why I said lets start by cutting the speaker count in half.:p

I also didn't mean for my opening remark to sound quite that derogatory, it just read like people saying "no, don't do that". I'm glad nobody told me that. Or if they did, I didn't listen and plowed ahead anyway.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    If you're not using a tube amp, you may want to look into a dirt pedal or two for your tone. That would open you up to more different speakers instead of having to design one for just the right amount of dirt at just the right volume for you.

And listen to these guys when they say don't judge tone on looks. "I don't like 10's" basically means nothing. Just look for stuff that has the specs to get the tone and output you want......then worry about what size they are and how many you need.

If you want to have a "big, menacing" looking stack in the small bar or club, you should be looking at low spl speakers, or you'll drive your patrons out the door and be left with nobody to play to. Or make a 2 cabinet stsck and just don't hook up one of the cabs.
  15. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691

It sounds like you will need lots of full mids, larger speakers don't do that well. The fEARful 1515/66 would be great, due to its two 6" mid drivers, with lots of power, it will also be louder than both the 412 and 215 together.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Whoa Tiger! Come back. Don't go away mad. When I first got here I had to pry my conventional wisdom from my head as well. A lot of what I thought I new about bass gear went out the window. I fought it for a while too. But it's no big deal. These guys might be giving you a tiny bit of a hard time but it's not personal.

Let me give you an example. I'm an electrician. For a while I worked at a supply house. EVERY SINGLE DAY someone came in and said something like "Hey my 20 amp breaker keeps tripping. I need a 30 amp one." Well, that's just dead wrong on a lot of levels. The first few hundred times I heard it, I was kind and gentle. After a couple of years of hearing it every day, I probably wasn't as nice to the 10,000th guy who came in with the same question. That's how some of these speaker gurus feel.

So lighten up and come back to us with MORE INFORMATION. It's that simple. Just tell us what kind of music you play, at what kind of venues, what makeup of the band (how many guitars.... loud drummer etc.), what kind of head you intend to run, what kind of bass, and what kind of tone you hope to get out of it.

When it really comes down to it, the really smart guys here are more than willing to help. They just might give you a little crap for it though. It's no different from your crabby old uncle. He knows a lot of junk and can really help, but he'll make you "pay" for it a little. It's all in good fun.

Give us another try man!
  17. spaz21387

spaz21387

get a rat and a used ampeg 8x10 off craigslist and your set!
  18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

In a place with vocal only PA you are restricted to a lot less volume than you can get from 4x12 or the singer will be a mess of distorted crap and the sound of the drums gets turned into thud rap and splash.
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    This^^

With a vocal only PA, the whole band has to blend it's volume and tone to the quietest piece, which with either be the drumkit, or the vocals, if it's a small or weak PA.

Think 212 or 215 with a couple/three hundred watts. More if you know how to turn down.

Even though the bass by itself may sound great through a giant rig, when it's stomping on everybody else, your whole band/presentation of yourselves to your audience will sound like $#!+. That goes for any instrument.
  20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I think some sort of 2-15 cab with some midrange drivers would work exceedingly well. I have a particular cab in mind, but I'd rather let you know thru PM if you are interested.

If you are more concerned with your rig looking "menacing" I dont have much to say that would be helpful.