Interesting chat with UK string supplier

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davo-London, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Davo-London

Davo-London

I've just had a chat with one of the best UK bass string internet-based suppliers! I grilled him about what's popular.

He said their most commonly requested strings (in the UK):

1. D'addario
    2. Rotosound
    3. Ernie Ball
    4. Elite and DR joint

I then asked about the split amongst the string types:

Roundwound 70%
    Flatwound 25%
    Mid/ground-wound 5%

I then asked his personal favourite strings (they were having a ukulele competition in their office at the time I called!).

DR (rounds) and Thomastik Infeld (flats)

Finally, he said he has had feedback that the DR range is so vast it puts some players off selecting their strings!

Happy Christmas
    Davo
  2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Wonder what he meant about the range being so vast on the DR strings? I have used Sunbeams for years and have never noticed anything different between sets of strings, tonal or feel. Sunbeams last a lot longer than a lot of other brands.

Another string that feels and sounds good is the Sadowsky Nickels, I am not sure who makes these strings for Roger.

Roscoe strings their basses with D'Addarios nickels, which sound good but seem to die quickly for me. D'Addario strings are inexpensive so you can justify changing more often.

Thomastik Infeld (flats) well, it is hard to beat these strings.

Davo, you ever heard of the Beaver Band over your way?
  3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Think I can guess the company! They offer a good service, but did he explain why it can be cheaper for a UK-based individual to buy and ship from the US?
  4. Davo-London

Davo-London

DR range. I wasn't referring to quality rather the number of string types available!

Beaver - no I havent! Are they any good?

Davo
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Yeah, I use them all the time, I must be one of the people keeping D'addario (Pro Steels for fretted) and Elites (fretless) at the top of the tree - brilliant service for the last year or two.

My 'record' is ordering strings at 4pm and having them drop through my letterbox at 8am the following morning. US suppliers can be as cheap as they like but they wouldn't beat that sort of convenience.
  7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

True - they offer a great service. If you plan in advance and order a couple of weeks ahead, the US is better.
  8. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Its my cousin's band, he is the guitarist and also has a recording studio. He definitely needs to do something with his website, it is a bit lame.

http://www.beaverband.co.uk/