"Interesting" delay pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassresistance, Nov 26, 2012.

1. bassresistance

bassresistance

I'm on the lookout for a new delay pedal. Currently using the delay on my Boss ME-50B, but since it's the only effect on it that I use, I'm pretty keen to downsize my pedalboard!

I almost always use the delay for fuzzy, feedback-y drones, so I'm wondering if there's something out there other than a bog-standard delay that I could use to enhance those sections. Any ideas?

(I already have a loop pedal on the board, so looping features aren't really a plus point)
  2. punisher911

punisher911

I have a MXR Carbon Copy. I like it.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

There are dozens of great delay pedals. What do you want it to do? Look at Pigtronix Echolution if you want something different. Otherwise, it's analog, (Carbon Copy, Memory Toy, etc), or digital, (Boss DD series, TC Electronis Flashback, Stereo Memoryman w/Hazrai, etc).
  4. metaball

metaball

+1
    what's important? size, price, tap tempo, delay time, mono/stereo, power specifications, analog/digital, tape emulation, looper, ect...

i have a few & like them for different reasons.
    Line 6 Echo Park - small footprint - tap tempo - tape emulation - inexpensive
    Boss RE-20 space echo - Tap Tempo - Tape Emulation
    Akai E2 Head Rush - Tap Tempo - easy to use Looper
    BBE 2 Timer - analog - small footprint - 9v - inexpensive
    Malekko 300D - analog - small footprint - 9v
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I think a Line6 M5 (or an M9 if you want to stack delays) has a lot of great options for delay, and many will self oscillate. Delays are really its best features, but there's a bunch of other junk you can do with it also. Either will be WAY smaller than the ME50B.

Zoom is coming out with a MS-50CDR (chorus-delay-reverb) that may be the best of all worlds, small footprint and delay options up the whazoo at about $130 if I've heard right.
  7. Fuzz Aldrin

Fuzz Aldrin

I have the EQD Dispatch Master which I love. It is very clean/ modern sounding but I like that because it doesn't really color my tone. I have other pedals for that. The Dispatch master also has reverb and the combination sounds great on bass. I've heard great things about the Catalinbread Montavillian, which is maybe more ambient sounding. Catalinbread also just released the Echorec, which is their take on the vintage Binson Echorec that David Gilmour used. I've also heard great things about EQD's Ghost Echo, which has more of a vintage springy thing going on.
  8. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I like the Ibanez PDM-1, but they're pretty tough to find. The vid just scrapes the surface of how bizarre the thing can get.

9. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

Echo Park - tons of features, small, great sound awesome modulations and tape mode kicks ass. Also, great tap tempo - none of that hold the switch crap.
  10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I really liked the EHX Memory Boy Deluxe w/ Tap Tempo for dirty, droney/ feed-backy delay textures. You can use an expression pedal to control any of the parameters, so you can ramp the pedal into or out of feedbacky self-oscillation with ease. It is definitely not the best sounding analog delay out there, but if you don't need really ethereal long delays and use it more for dirty tones and drones and the inclusion of the tap tempo (which is still relatively rare on analog delays) it is a great deal in my opinion. The newer Deluxe Memory Man with Tap Tempo (the version with the longer delay time) has all the same functionality but with noticeably superior tone, but costs WAY more...
  11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I love my drasp modded DL4; especially on the "Stereo Delays" and "Tape Echo" settings,...but it's a biggun.

I checked out the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport and that strikes me as interesting.
  12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

The Timeline is pretty interesting to say the least. I just got a Flashback today too and so far it's got a lot of cool things going on - tape delay, modulated delay, and reverse so far have proven useful.
  13. Fuzz Aldrin

Fuzz Aldrin

Oh sorry, the Ghost Echo is reverb. My mind switched gears because the Dispatch Master is both delay and reverb.
  14. bassresistance

bassresistance

Thanks for the replies so far! Some cool sounding stuff out there... The Pigtronix pedal looks fantastic, but I think it's probably too expensive for amount I'd use it. Looking like the EHX Memory Boy might be the way to go.
  15. christoph h.

christoph h.

The Line6 M9 (and therefore the M5) is indeed pretty good for delays.

The Strymon Timeline is simply amazing, you can get a myriad of sounds out of it and it sounds fantastic. But you'd probably have to use it a lot to justify the price.
  16. bassresistance

bassresistance

Ooft, I just realised the Memory Boy has an effect loop for the delay... I can see this getting expensive!
  17. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Boss DD20? I don't use it for bass but it does have some fairly 'interesting' settings on there (warp, reverse etc) along with the regular delay types.
  18. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Get creative and create your own "interesting" delay pedal. Use an LS-2 and combine any old delay pedal and a modulation, just to see what happens.
  19. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Echolution is what you want. Tap tempo, modulated feedback through a chorus if you want it, very musical.
    [​IMG]
  20. wshines1892

wshines1892

I did use my Memory Boy for all my delay needs. Nothing rhythmic, just spacey sounds and use of the modulation on it. Now I have the Zoom B3 and I think it's fantastic. All the modulation, delay, pitch shift, filters and synth patches you could want, can use three three effects at once, fast switching between patches with almost no latency. Also, the expression input accommodates expression pedals or switches and is assignable to several parameters including tap tempo, and can be saved differently between patches.

The only thing I don't like about the pedal are some of the dirt models. I don't think they got the compression right at all for their muff models. But that's why i keep my muff. Seriously though, I'm mid downsizing right now simply because this one pedal has eliminated a lot of need for me to have separate analog pedals for modulation and all of that. If you like the dirt models too then it's not unreasonable to say that you could make a board of the B3 maybe a volume pedal before and an assigned tap or exp pedal and be good to go.

Also, if you're handy with a soldering iron, there are mods out to accommodate a separate input for tap tempo and expression pedal so that you could have both, and hopefully Zoom will be releasing a software update soon to allow the use of 6 effects at once. All of this and at a $200 price point.
  21. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

TC Electronics Flashback. Allot of features w/loop...great delay pedal.