Interesting gig coming up as I've not played jazz for quite a while

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassyBill, Feb 22, 2014.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    This gig next month is in a local French restaurant and they're having a theme night called "Midnight in Paris". They want a 20s/30s/40s cafe culture vibe, so we get to play stuff by Django, Grappelli and that crowd (I'll just be playing from chord charts). The line up is me with two (acoustic) guitars and a really great jazz violinist. I've also seen the guitarists play a a duo before and they're both very good musicians, as in "proper" guitarists and not fakers.

I'll need to do some woodshedding as it's been a while since I played much of this sort of stuff. I'm on the gig because their regular guy is away - he's an upright player, but I'll be doing this one on BG as my upright playing really sucks these days (always did, tbh).

2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

Sounds like a great time! I don't have the chops to play that stuff, but should be lots of fun! Post video afterwards if you have any.

3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I'm failing to see the "Band Management" connection? Maybe this thread belongs on the band stories or miscellaneous forum? Anyway, way cool and have fun.

4. BassyBill

Media:
    Not sure - I think working as a sub (or "dep", as we call it over here) for another player is sort of management related. If the gig goes badly, I could always move this to the bass humour forum. ;)

Anyway, there's one genuine band management issue about this gig in that the load in is going to be a bit of a pig! The venue is right in the city centre of Birmingham (the original Birmingham) in a very inaccessible location. Luckily, I won't need a lot of gear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassyBill

Media:
    Bob, this is the gypsy jazz outfit I'll be playing with. Check out the tunes (crazy version of the "Star Trek" theme - nice little twist) and the video clip from Birmingham International Jazz Festival. No jazz violin in these clips, though. That's an addition for some occasional gigs they do where there's a bit more money. ;)

http://www.strumpit.co.uk/

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh okay. I wasn't sure if I was missing something and you needed help with BM. We have a great group of TB regulars on the BM forum always willing to help if we can.

EDIT:
    If you haven't already, I highly recommend investing in a lightweight folding type hand truck/cart - I got mine from Sears for really cheap and its been a great back saver. I'll see if I still have a link to it and if I can find it I'll add the link to this post for you.

Okay, here's a link http://www.sears.com/magna-cart-folding-hand-truck/p-00987615000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 I got mine when they were on sale (I think I paid $20) and you can find them at many other stores too.

Good luck and best wishes.

8. BassyBill

Media:
    Yeah, I've been keeping a watch on things in here to provide an extra pair of eyes for Jive recently, as our buddy Thor has been a bit busy and his TB time has been somewhat curtailed. I'm sure he'll be back with us soon. It's been a couple of months since I was last active in BM, so it's nice getting back up to date with you guys. I must make a point of visiting more often.

I've thought about getting a cart before and this might be the right time to do it. I wouldn't get one from Sears shipped here as it would cost silly money, but if you post a link I'm sure I could maybe find something similar here in the UK.

9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I added the link to my above post for you.

Cheers,
    Joe

10. BassyBill

Media:
    I can't use that link here - it takes me to a Sears "shop internationally" page. But is this the truck you have?

[​IMG]

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oops, I forgot you were in the UK. Yeah, it looks very similar to that. Its made by "Magna Cart" and they call it a "Folding Hand Truck". It only weighs 7lbs and carries a 150lbs load, with 5" rubber wheels, and folds down really small. There are also heavier duty ones too, but personally my little lightweight Magna Cart gets more use these days. Other manufactures make them too. Do a "Magna Cart" search on the Amp forum - there are a few threads there about them.

EDIT: For example http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/two-wheel-carts-best-bang-buck-980724/ there are some nay sayer's <- if that's a word - but note, there are many of us happily using the little lightweight Magna Carts. Of course, if you're hauling really HEAVY loads, you'll want/need something bigger.

12. BassyBill

Media:
    Thanks for the input, Joe.

Here's a sample setlist for the gig - sounds like a lot of fun. Some lovely changes to walk over.

1. Nuages - Django Reinhardt (3:30)
    2. College Boy (University Challenge) - Two Apiece (0:29)
    3. Douce Ambiance - Django Reinhardt (2:18)
    4. Blue Drag - Django Reinhardt (2:47)
    5. Dark Eyes - Chet Atkins (2:12)
    6. Limehouse Blues - Django Reinhardt (2:45)
    7. Minor Swing - Reinhardt & Grappelli (3:13)
    8. Oriental Shuffle - Django Reinhardt (2:41)
    9. The Original Series Theme - Star Trek (0:47)
    10. Swing 39 - Django Reinhardt (3:20)
    11. Topsy - Count Basie (3:11)
    12. Vendredi Treize - Django Reinhardt (1:13)
    13. All of Me - Gypsy Jazz Violin (2:33)
    14. Autumn Leaves - Stephane Grappelli (5:29)
    15. The Girl From Ipanema - Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto (5:24)
    16. My Favorite Things - Alesia Lucas (3:00)
    17. Night and Day - Chris Standring (2:43)
    18. Sweet Georgia Brown - Stephane Grappelli (4:25)
    19. Take Five - Dave Brubeck (5:29)
    20. Unforgettable - Nat King Cole (3:13)
    21. When I Fall In Love - Nat King Cole (3:12)
    22. How High The Moon - Stephane Grappelli (5:12)

13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Sweet - and since this is the BM forum - turnoff your computer and get to work my friend. ;)

14. BassyBill

Media:
    Can't, I'm just on way out to another gig. Will report back in a few hours.

15. ahc

ahc

That looks to be a fun gig! Really liked "Star Trek".

I've got a cart similar to the one pictured above. Works pretty well loaded with two Acme B2's, a micro head, and a bag of cords and spares. Near it's weight limit, I'd guess. Two things to note... the larger the wheels, the better the trip down funky pavement (not to be confused with "Funky Broadway") and curbs. And be sure the handle extends high enough so you don't have to stoop over too much when rotating it into position and rolling.

Edit: Just saw the set list. What... no theme from "The Third Man"??? :D

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Put some flats on your EB and get all thumpy. It'll work.

If you could borrow a Rob Allen bass, you'd really pull that off. :D

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Sounds like a sweet gig. Don't be ashamed about playing electric. Flaunt it!

18. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Thanks for the set list, gives the rest of us stuff to aspire to.

19. BassyBill

Media:
    I will!

Anyway, gig tonight (different band) fell through. It happens.

mrb327, I've attached the chord charts here that the guitarist sent me if case you fancy walking through some of them. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing them here as they're all well known tunes. Very handy format. I'll put it on my iPad before the gig.

See, this is why I think this IS a "band management" discussion, especially from a sub's point of view. It's about how you get prepared to play gigs away from your usual comfort zone. For me, a big part of this preparation takes place without a bass in my hands. I spent some time today getting mp3s off of YouTube for all the tunes and making a playlist for the set. For the next couple of weeks, I'll be listening to this every opportunity I get (it's on right now, just listening to the Basie tune "Topsy"), even in the car. It really helps me if some of this time is spent following the charts while I listen. You have to get really familiar with the tunes. Later, I'll be playing along with the recordings using the charts - a good day's session can totally nail the set, for most stuff (some of the tunes are simple enough for me to play straight from the charts with no practice at all, and a better player could get every one of them right like that, first time). We'll probably have a short rehearsal before the gig just to "top and tail" the tunes' starts, endings and any transitions. Then it's gig time. I'm looking forward to it.

Attached Files:

20. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

21. BassyBill

Media:
    I don't see why I shouldn't share the mp3s I put together as well (all carefully tagged and trimmed - it's just the way I work). Like I said, these were all taken off YouTube today, so they're already in the public domain. And if you're anything like me, you'll probably end up buying a couple of albums after listening to these.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4sztywx3uzi5ya/StrumpitGypsyJazz.zip