1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Interesting looking Jazz Bass on eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FBS1996, Jan 2, 2014.

1. FBS1996

FBS1996

Hey everyone

Been saving up for a jazz bass for quite some time now, and I found one on ebay that really sparked my interests.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Ja...al_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27dc8918fd

I think it's a great looking bass, but I'm not 100% sure if what the seller is saying is totally legit. They claim that it is a Mexican fender body and a '78 American fender neck. I wouldn't know whether either the neck or body is genuine so if anyone with a vast knowledge of fender basses would like to help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

It's in goo condition.
  3. FBS1996

FBS1996

There's always one haha :p
  4. Doctor J

Doctor J

I could be wildly wrong, but I don't recall seeing a 78 jazz neck with dots before, nor a Mexican body drilled for three neck bolts in that colour. It could be genuine, but my gut instinct is that it is not.
  5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Neck is likely an '81-82, (they did go back to dots in the early 80s) and the S8 serials were used right up to '83, and changed to this font on the numbers right at the end of Standard Jazz Bass production. Those tuners are either very early reissue vintage long shafts, or possibly real oldies. My guess is reissue though.
  6. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

I plays an sounds good.
  7. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Exactly. How can you argue with that? I am suspicious about randomly blurry head stock shot, too.
  8. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Capri Orange? One of the international Series of colors. From Olivia's Vintage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

hideous! buy it!
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That's what you get for leaving your bass out in the sun. All you have left is a Bucket o' Bass! :D
  11. FBS1996

FBS1996

To anyone who's still interested, I actually did end up buying this bass, despite an overwhelming recommendation to avoid it haha ;) honesty, I'm quite glad I did. I'll try and clear things up as well as I can

Body:
    Definitely a refinish, and not a very good one at that. The colour underneath appears to be a wine red type of colour. I'm assuming it's a fender body but I honestly have no idea. It's heavier than my Fender MIM P Bass

Neck:
    Seems pretty legit to me, but I wouldn't really know. Doesn't look like a decal has been put on by the seller. If so, he's done a pretty good job. Also pretty beat up, particularly the binding running down the neck. Tuners are definitely after market, and they don't fit the on the neck very well.

Electronics/Hardware:
    All seems fine. Pickups sound good. Bridge is nice and adjustable, no rusty screws. No scratchy pots

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this bass. Sounds really sweet, I love the sound you get when you really dig your fingers in with everything up full. Personally, I'd prefer using a Precision bass for heavier rock styles, but this works great for pretty much anything where a jazz is used on the recording.

There's definitely a few things that I don't like, or had to adjust when I got it. The pickups weren't even slightly adjustable, totally stuck in place. Sorted that by placing foam under the pickups. Pickguard doesn't fit properly, but I'll be getting that replaced soon. Also sounds pretty unbalanced. The E string is a lot quieter than the other three strings, but again, that can be fixed.

I think for £370, which would get you a new squier jazz or a used fender mexican jazz, it's a good bass for the money, just needs a bit of work

Pictures (had trouble uploading them)
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1390054993_051e78cfd995e5ee3909ad7126b14cd9

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1390054993_e555bbb1df27bc03a6ce85c6f2aeccda

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1390082046_cf8ecc4e3f192be30710f6abd9edaca1

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1390085995_a1674f5f8ad03735f18c32edd8fd39d5