1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Interesting/Odd "Jam Band" opportunity...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DogBone, Jan 22, 2014.

1. DogBone

DogBone

Okay, the situation:

I'm in a great Blues band, but right now struggling with a few members committment to gigs and playing live (spouse/family/work balance stuff).

So yeah I'm jonesing to play out.

So an former drummer/singer who is an aquaintance contacted me because he is cooking up an idea with a local bar/restaurant to put together a "jam band".

Basically it would be the "house band" that would do a few sets as any band, a few standards but a lot of tunes would be improvised and simple 12 bar stuff, but the twist is that on Friday evenings during an alloted time that is now karaoke, we would REPLACE the karaoke machine and basically back up any karaoke singers from the crowd. :confused::p

Okay, has anyone else ever done this? I admit as a geezer I know quite a few songs, but no I don't stay up to date on top 40 pop and country songs, so yeah on that I'm a little skeptical.

So I'm really attracted to the "jam band" and improv part, like I said I've played with this drummer and he can really play to the crowd and have fun, I do thrive under pressure and have little trouble playing on the fly. :p

But the karaoke part...I can see how it would be really fun on one hand, and a complete disaster on the other.

1. Has anyone ever done/experienced/heard of this before? If so please share your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions.

2. Technology to the rescue? Any apps, say for an IPad, that can bring up not just the lyrics, but chords, sort of a virtual "fake book" that would be consistent and up to date with typical karaoke tunes that would be useful?

3. Anything else? Is it just a ridiculous notion that is going to lead only to pain and misery and suffering? Or is there a chance it could work, be musically challenging and an opportunity for growth, and be a lot of fun? :)

Appreciate your thoughts! :bassist:

2. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Be prepared for tone deaf drunks wailing through "Immigrant Song"!

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I'd leave the karoake crowd to the karoake machine.
    It might be funny at first but I could not take a steady diet of it.

4. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

It's been done for years with success. In Vegas, at The House Of Blues, they call it Rockstar Karaoke. It's being done all over, so hardly an experiment.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I wouldnt want to back up karaoke singers myself.

I have actually been in a jam band, though, where we improvised our entire set. We'd throw in a few covers to keep people happy. It was fun, but I wouldnt do it again.

7. DogBone

DogBone

Ouch.

Thanks for the warning! :p

8. DogBone

DogBone

Great point.

Not sure the frequency of the karaoke yet. Really depends on how well the whole thing gets pulled off I figure. :rolleyes:

9. DogBone

DogBone

Okay ,cool, I'll look into the examples of where it's already being done.

Thank you.

10. DogBone

DogBone

Yeah, there's a lot about the situation that is iffy.

I'm actually excited about the jam band/improv, enough to stomach the karaoke part IF we can pull it off successfully.

My Blues band is primarily covers, lots of old electric and harp based standards, and sure we jam and improv a little but not much.

I'll try to get more details and see how this thing pans out.

THanks again everyone. :bassist: