1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Interesting Problem With Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Animal, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Animal

Animal Supporting Member

I have A GK Goldline 500 bass head that powers a Hartke 4x10 cab. I haven't played in about 4 months, but plugged in last night. I had it set up without any effects in the loop. Head to cab, bass to head & I was getting a distorted sound that was crackling & also fading in & out. When I plugged in using my pedal board, using the send/return, everything played fine, no problems. Anyone have this happen or might know what it is? Effects loop-plays fine. Direct input-not fine. :help:

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dirty contacts in effects loop? Run your cables in and out if the loop a dozen our so times and see if it doesn't sound better w/O them attached after.
    Contact cleaner should work also.

3. Animal

Animal Supporting Member

The effects loop (send & return) works fine when plugged in. When I plug directly into the input on the front face without anything in the effects loop is when I have problems. Maybe contact cleaner on the input on the face?

4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Nope

What you describe IS a problem with the contacts in the FX loop.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The effects return jack disconnects the connection between the send and the return. If these contacts are not making good contact when the effects loop isn't being used, the amp won't pass signal or will be intermittent, noisy, etc.

This jack is notorious for doing this in many amps, regardless of brand. That is why it is usually the first thing suggested when intermittent problems arise.

7. Animal

Animal Supporting Member

Problem fixed. Cleaned the main input on the face of the head with contact cleaner & that was it.