1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Interesting realization

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by curbowkid, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

The presidential election was intense to say the lease but for most of the time, Romney looked to be winning by a big margin. Although in the end he lost, it got me thinking

What if he won. But no one was voting for him. Like he was getting votes but not enough to win. But someone somewhere was skewing something and headed up winning. You get the idea.
  2. rr5025

rr5025

This totally is readable...
  3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

It's hard to explain x.x

Say the outcome of the election was in actuality going towards Obama, as it did. But some alternate party or being or entity was making it so the election was actually in Romneys favor. Causing him to win.

What would happen? Would there be unrest in America? Or would we go about our daily lives like huh oh well.
  4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I feel like no ones grasping haha I think it's interesting.

Everyone says the government could do anything they want and often times do. So say the government itself pulled some strings making Romney win. For whatever reason.
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What would happen if someone fixed the vote?

I'm not sure if that's what you are getting at, though if it is, and it came out, I'm pretty sure the good folks of the USA wouldn't take that one sitting down . . .
  7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Pretty much yea!

But how would we know? Would we really have any way of knowing it was rigged?
  8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

That's why I added "and it came out", but my ninja edit wasn't quick enough!

I don't know enough about the workings of the system in the US to comment on how possible that scenario would be.
  9. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    short memory? it happened in 2000. bush lost popular vote. and remember his brother, you know the governor of florida (at the time). yes florida. with all those electoral votes? the state in which millions of votes were thrown out? the state in which the electoral votes would have put the other guy in there? you mean something like that? yeah, we've already had it happen.
  10. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Me either but that just furthers the question. Would we know it happened?
  11. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I'm just saying there's flat out no evidence to the public that it was going on and the election just went like a normal election. In the end showing mitt winning the popular and electoral when in actuality he wins neither
  12. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    you mean like 2004.....:)
  13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I'd like to see us do away with the Electoral College. Let's have a true popular vote. Every vote REALLY counts. Just because the Electoral College made sense 200+ years ago doesn't mean it makes sense now. Surely we have the ability to count a popular vote.
  14. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

But that was truly an error of the ballots. The hanging chads. I'm saying what if none of that happened. And the votes were intentionally misplace to the other candidate despite being for the other. No error. Just intentional wrong doing
  15. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Not to add to any conspiracy theories but there was some thought that this could occurr since Romney family members had investment in a company that was heavily invested in a manufacturer of voting machines. Based on what I read about this story was that it became a non issue.

In terms of the OP's comment a situation like the one he posed is concerning particularly when considering our increased reliance on computerized voting booths, and the potential to be able to vote online in the futre when considing that hackers tend to be ahead of the technology curve and their ability to defeat security softwear. If it "came out" that this had occurred I would think that while rioting in the streets could occurr someone skilled enough to pull this kind of vote manipulation off would have a backup plan to quell any protest.
  16. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

This.
  17. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    yaknow, there's some really controversial stuff, and it's a hard watch, but worth it. it's also getting a little old, but you should see the movie ZEITGIEST. every american adult should at least hear what's being put forth in it. and i'll repeat it: yes, it's a hard watch, but sit through it anyway. really. "the man behind the curtain" stuff has been the human way since antiquity. the general populous has been in the dark for thousands years. we're cattle to the elite. always have been.

back on topic, the states have been wrecked by the bush family regularly for almost 100 years now. no kidding. there are some ominous correlations between 2008 and the great depression. the most notable being that a bush was involved in both. look it up.

but to the OP, if everything in the hypothetical election you speak of were to pass, then as you state, we'd never know, sooo... how can you say that this isn't happening now and has been since the inception of our political system? just sayin.
  18. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Exactly. We wouldn't know. But I'm sure there would be people getting together saying they didn't vote for him and it could spread. Everyone on my Facebook was complaining he was winning and wondering who was voting for him. Which is kinda where this started
  19. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Nobody would know and I find that concerning honestly
  20. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.