Interlochen

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Vangoens13, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Vangoens13

Vangoens13

Not really sure where to post this, but is anyone else going to interlochen for this summer?

2. rebassca92

rebassca92

I'm not but i was there in the summers of 2011 and 2012 and I highly reccommend it!! Mr. Hurst and Mr. Budrow are truly incredible teachers and the bass program there is excellent. It's an amazing place and you'll definitely have a great experience! Feel free to message me if you have any questions

3. JPHYeoh

JPHYeoh

I went with rebassca92 in 2012 and I second what she said! I can't recommend it enough!

4. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

I also went with the two above people in 2011 and 2012, and it was a life changing experience. You'll have a great time- be sure to avoid the cafeteria food as much as possible.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vangoens13

Vangoens13

I'm excited! It'll be my first year going. I'm going to be a sophomore next year, and I am very excited to be with Hurst and Budrow! And hurst is the reason I'm actually going - he was the one that awarded me an Emerson scholarship!

7. carolinesamuels

carolinesamuels

I also went with the above 3 people, in 2012. I also went last summer, and it was awesome! You're going to have a great summer! There are several bassists who are coming back this summer that I can get you in contact with if you want! They're all great people. The rep this summer really great and will be a big challenge for everyone.

8. Tomhuckaby

Tomhuckaby

Interlochen has been "instrumental" to my success, Hurst is near a prophet, the atmosphere is the best educational and personal growth opportunity you are likely to find, the scenery and beauty of the campus is one of the garden spots of the states. Go during the summer but don't miss the school year there, an arts extravaganza. Worth every penny and minute.
    Tom Huckaby
    Principal Bassist
    San Antonio

9. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Sadly, you younger kids all missed the joy of the Bass Hut, and tormenting the tubists for 8 weeks. Alternately, you guys don't have to deal with weekly challenges anymore. That was a nightmare. A beneficial nightmare, but crappy nonetheless. Enjoy; one of my biggest regrets in life is not spending more summers among the stately pine.

Make sure to get contact/email/facebook from everyone at the end of the summer. Several of my best friends in this world were met at Interlochen. For that matter, I just had drinks with a pal from summer '97 and it was like a day hadn't passed since, despite the fact that we hadn't seen each other since.

Sound the call!

10. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

We still had biweekly challenges... not as bad, but still pretty hellish, although less so because the summer session is only 6 weeks now.

Believe it or not, friends who went to camp summer 2013 told me that they allow you to have cell phones during the session now.

11. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Cell phones?!!!

Crazy talk.

Can you still be advanced/ demoted between orchestras during challenges?

12. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    I went in 1977 - have a great time.

13. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Yup. A few people both of my years went between WYSO (the top orchestra) and IP (the lower orchestra), although the bulk of both sections stayed the same.

14. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Adam,

The first summer I was there (with the owner of Talkbass himself sitting principal bass of WYSO,) was the summer WYSO went to the Olympic games in Atlanta. Let's just say tensions were *high* during the weekly challenges, as there was a free vacation and a chance to play in the Olympic Games on the line.
    :bassist:

15. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Yikes. I can't even imagine... My first summer we did Ein Heldenleben and the last challenged determined who played that, but nothing that stressful.