1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Internet band practice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pappasgrind, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Supporting Member

Not sure I'm supposed to post this here but I can't figure it out how do I have band practice over the Internet and not have any lag skype kinda blowwwwws

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

3. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

this is not an easy answer by any means. The only product I have seen for this availible on the internet is a system called Jamlink. though it is not cheap at all. That would be the only option for live internet band rehearsals. There is also a website that is starting up called collabmachine. The idea behind that is a social media site for collaborating musicians. The theory is you record a track on your own, guitar, bass vocal etc. And upload it to the site. The other members of the band then listen develop their parts, record them and unload them to the project until eventually the whole song is built.

I do not represent either of these products commercially, I have just experienced the same issue and found these through research.

https://www.musicianlink.com/

collabmachine.com

4. Pappasgrind

Holy crap why the hell is it so expensive latency technology can't be that bad this angers me

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

A typical "good" connection without wireless connections, is 45milliseconds. Add wireless and it can go north of 100. I don't see how you could ever practice live over the internet. Nobody will hear the same thing at the same time. Think tv interviews when the reporter asks a question, and there is a delay as the interviewee listens.

7. Technicality

Technicality

I'm pretty sure this impossible at present in the way you would want. There is latency in your sound card, latency in your internet connection, and latency in the audio compression process. These are unavoidable no matter what software you use.

Even a very small delay is going to make locking in with another person impossible. You hear them playing a fraction after they do, so you adjust and play a little later, but they now hear you slightly late, so adjust too. Now they sound late to you and the cycle repeats.

You have to either break that feedback loop by not letting people all hear eachother in realtime, or improve the infrastructure of the connection.

What you can do, is use online audio collaboration software, record your parts one by one and then listen to it and discuss over skype.

8. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

the only way I've done this is with a land line.

Like you pick up the telephone that is connected to the wall, call your buddy, and say, "hey man, check out this riff! what can you do over this sweet riff?"

then you wait for your buddy to do the riff, count it off, and play it together.
    Then hang up the phone and put the riff on mp3, email to your friend, etc etc etc.

9. Pappasgrind

Right so over all technology isn't what we need it to be yet bill nye needs to chime in here. Wish all the musicians I like to jam with didn't live so far away damn this getting old crap and responsibilities

10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

You'd need a dedicated fibre network just for yourself to get the latency down into the 10ms to 20ms range or less (and reliably so) to make it work and it's just not possible with current home technology.

Roughly speaking sound travels 1 foot in 1ms and on stage, with monitors, you aren't likely to be much more than 10 (maybe 20) feet from the main source of sound. 10ms is about the point you should be able to notice that two identical sounds are not coincident in time.

11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

You can set delays in the sound such that you are all a bar out from each other and synchronised in that sense, so if you all do jazz prog fusion improvs around a theme it could work. People have done that. But it's not the same as doing a standard song.

12. wideload

wideload

I can't even stand the latency when I step off the bandstand with a wireless! Online would be unthinkable. :)

13. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that as I learned something today.