Internet Use Tax

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 3506string, Mar 28, 2014.

1. 3506string

3506string

I happen to live in one of the great states that has already implemented the internet use tax. The way the collect it here is during tax time. They have a box asking if you've made any internet purchases. I'll be honest, there is no way possible that I can remember all the purchases I've made via the internet during a year, so I usually don't bother. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but hey it is what it is.

About a week ago I logged onto my paypal to find an error message claiming a problem with my account. They need my tax number to be able to re-enable certain features of my account. So it looks like they are going to be using paypal to monitor online purchases.

Honestly I wouldn't even mind the tax if they could do it at the time of sale. But, having to keep up with everything I buy on the net for a year seems like a major pain. I'm a single male and I claim 0 deductions, so uncle sammie already takes a healthy portion of my income. Looks like I'll be losing whatever refund I get to use tax from now on. :mad:

I don't even know what kind of purchases are to be taxed. Do I have to pay tax on online music downloads, forum subscriptions, online software downloads. Online purchases made from an individual? Trades?

Does anybody that already deals with this have any info/tips to keep on top of this use tax.
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    So far as I know, most states have charged sales tax on out-of-state purchase for a long time, but are only beginning to catch up on actually collecting it.

I agree it's a pain. The major complicating factor is that sales tax is already charged at the time of sale by many online merchants, and there's no reason to pay a tax twice. Here's something that can help: PayPal and most credit card companies now allow you to download a ledger of your transactions into a spreadsheet. That makes it easier to run through your purchases and figure out what you owe.
  3. 3506string

3506string

I've done some quick research and it seems that Oklahoma has a site that will let you pay tax on purchases that don't collect it at the time of sale. You enter the info and they will draft the appropriate tax from a bank account.

I think I'd rather go this route rather than waiting to pay at tax time. That's one of the reasons I don't claim any deductions. Take it all out now so I don't owe anything later.
  4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

In CA, if you are shipping to a CA address and online you get taxed. However, I have noticed that I do not get taxed if I buy from a 3rd party seller on Amazon though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chebass88

Chebass88 Supporting Member

For NJ taxes, there is a table in the instruction booklet.

If your income is between XXX & YYY, your estimated use tax is ZZZ.

This is what I use.
  7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    You get taxes collected by vendors who do a certain amount of sales in California. The 3rd party sellers probably don't do sufficient business in California to have reach that level.
  8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

My state has the same thing, and that's what I use as well.
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    They're taxing the internet?:confused: What the hell?

Luckily, as long as they can't tax face-to-face craigslist transactions, I'm all good.

Or you can do like I've done with the very damn couple/few things I've bought online......communicate with the seller and do it the old fashoned way....mail each other money/product.

Those bastards will tax anything if you let them......even tea.
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'd bet they do plenty of business in Cali. It's just the 3rd party makes it an out-of-state transaction. ;)

Face-to-face cash is King. Barring that....3rd party private couriers carrying cash/product.
  11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

They don't tax garage sales, if the item is used I say hands off.
  12. 3506string

3506string

Actually, in Oklahoma at least, you are required to collect and report sales tax if you have a garage sale.
  13. fmoore200

fmoore200

"Let the bears pay the bear tax. I pay the Homer tax."

"No, Dad, you pay the home owners tax."
  14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    They do.
  15. Immigrant

Immigrant

Just wait until the Cable/Internet providers grease enough palms to lube up the bills they're trying to get through. If they succeed, well all be paying with a meter involved so that when you stream a lot, you'll pay extra.

It's how they operate. First, they bill the crap out of you for cable packages and make a bunch of money and become Internet providers also. Then when their customers ditch the big cable packages and start mainlining Netflix, they want a piece of that action also.
  16. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I have an idea. Lets get rid of the income taxes and have corporations pay it all. Another 20 years and corporations will be the only one's with money anyway.