1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Intervals and the Major Scale

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by markjsmithbass, Aug 3, 2013.

1. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

I've noticed that there's a lack of music theory videos specifically aimed at bass so I'm going to publish a series of them covering the basics through to relatively advanced functional harmony

The first one's here : http://www.talkingbass.net/music-theory-for-bass-intervals-the-major-scale-part-1/

It's basically a re-filming of one I did last year but with a few additions and better production values. Bear in mind it does discuss the very basics so if you're looking for advanced theory, that'll be coming later.
    If anyone has any criticisms or requests for new ones just let me know.

Cheers
    Mark
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

+ 100. Well done. Comments; the PDF link is a great plus. I would have liked to have seen a split screen of the major scale pattern itself. Especially in the Intervals as separate patterns section.

This interval as a separate pattern is normally skipped over and became an important element of your video.

Well produced. Look forward to others.
  3. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

Thank you, Mark for a wonderful idea.
    Just a thought.
    Would it be a good idea to show all those sharp or flat symbols in the key signature?
  4. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Great Job. Looking forward to more!
  5. SidMau

SidMau

Although most music education books keep the key sig all natural, I like this idea as it better prepares (I think) people for having to keep the key signature in mind when reading
  6. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

Thanks guys.

Regarding the accidentals on the scales, I wasn't even going to write those scales out because I thought the movable pattern principle kind of spoke for itself but then I didn't want to take anything for granted so put them in. Unfortunately, I'd kind of improvised the scales I used as examples and just played them without thinking so G# and C# appeared as 'accidental' based tonics after I'd just played G and C. If I'd given any thought to it at all, I'd have used Ab and Db but I didn't want to record the video sections again. So stupid amounts of sharps and double sharps were forced upon me!

When I wrote them out I thought about just using key signatures partly for ease of writing but in the end I realised I'd not touched on key signatures so I figured I'd be making more assumptions about the ability or knowledge of the reader/viewer. Now you've mentioned it I'm wondering if I should have mentioned key signatures in the lesson but it was already getting too long. Maybe the next lesson.

Cheers
    Mark
  7. Already In Use

Already In Use

Nicely presented! Good lessons.
  8. Jul

Jul

THANK YOU!!! A million times over!

Picked up my brother's old bass guitar a little over a week ago, but I was having such a hard time finding any tools/lessons that did NOT have tabs. I've always read sheet music, refuse to learn with tabs, and sir, your scale reference manual is a life-saver! I'll also be checking your videos to help me get started!
  9. db4124

db4124

These are great. Keep them coming. :)