Interview with Scott Thunes

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Arthritic_Tom, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Arthritic_Tom

Arthritic_Tom Supporting Member

2. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Thanks, Tom!

3. almost human

almost human

4. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Another great Thunes interview, Tom, with memorable quotes. Sorry to hear about Scott, but glad he's on the mend.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Excellent interview; as is often the case, you get some things that you might expect Scott to say and you also get some unique responses that generate a fresh perspective on how one thinks about things in life. All that aside, I'm glad to hear that he's on the mend and has a strong plan to hang around for as long as possible.

7. Arthritic_Tom

He's always fun to interview.

Though I don't believe him when he says that he doesn't deliberately choose notes to get an emotional reaction...

8. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Interesting dude. I enjoy his dry & direct responses in contrast to the typical b.s. feel good answers.

9. Arthritic_Tom

Nobody can never accuse Scott of giving feel-good answers!

10. MR PC

MR PC

I kinda get the feeling that the old "life is a bitch and then you die" attitude he picked up from Zappa is gonna do him if he doesn't drop it. And he knows it. Where's the fu***** joy, Thunes? ;) Give it up, man!

11. Spectrum

Spectrum

Great job, Tom, as always it's good reading.

12. Arthritic_Tom

Well, look: Scott and I have become very close friends.

When I interview him, though, he's not my friend Scott; he's Scott Thunes, bassist and my former Collateral Ghost.

One of the ways a person preserves his privacy is by performing. Keep that in mind.

13. Arthritic_Tom

Thank you!

14. MR PC

MR PC

Well, he has a lot of emotional baggage to let go of to survive 40 years more he mentioned. Only he can do it, no shrink, or guru, life coach, or mind philosophy group is the magic carpet ride to survival past this crisis. It's not only about changing the diet, and cutting back on nasty habits and such either. Yeah, I get it, the interview is a performance. Just like Zappa did his schitck in his interviews. But a little bit of Scott's soft hearted reality did slip through in the interview. That's encouraging, as long as he wants people to hear him by letting you do this. I think he has a lot to offer and he's holding back, judging by the things he said about his own writing. I do agree with him that memoirs at this point would be pretentious, he's way to young to start hammering those nails in the coffin. Don't blame him at all for being guarded. Fear of mortality at times like this is real.

15. Arthritic_Tom

You're not kidding. I lost both parents in 2013, and even though Dad was eighty-four and Mom was eighty-five, and even though they were both devout Catholics, they died in terror, as though their deaths were unexpected. I realize now that neither of them ever gave a second's thought to their own mortality.

It would never have occurred to me that they'd have that reaction. I believe that now they're at peace, but the transitions were the worst things I've ever witnessed.

We can't ever know what a person really thinks about these things. I knew Dad was afraid, but I honestly thought Mom's faith would give her strength.

My unsolicited advice to everybody is to get this stuff straight long, LONG before you have to face it. Watching my parents die in great fear was horrific. At the end they both tried to get out of bed and run.

Personally, I believe that there's no need for that kind of fear, but Dad simply refused to ever discuss the topic, and Mom pretended that none of it was happening.

I hope Scott wasn't afraid. Though I don't foist my viewpoints on anyone--we all have to make up our own minds; that's part of the learning process--I can't resist telling people that there's no need to be afraid.

All will be well. I'm sure of it.

Thus endeth the sermon. Sheesh.

16. MR PC

MR PC

17. Arthritic_Tom

You just made me remember something:

I knew that Zappa had symptoms of prostate cancer for ten years but ignored them. Recently I heard a radio interview with Thunes in which he said that when Zappa finally admitted that he had cancer, he initially tried to treat it with herbs and other alternative methods. By that time, his prostate was the size of a grapefruit.

Steve Jobs had the type of pancreatic cancer that's curable, but he chose to treat it with fruit juices until it was too late.

Zappa, Jobs, and my father were all men who thought that the normal rules didn't apply to them. My father ignored his bone cancer for five years. We didn't know this until after he'd died. He hid his gigantic, Third World abdominal tumor by wearing baggy clothes.

After his death, we found that he'd bought a dozen pairs of jockey shorts with a 52-inch waist. His plan was to just buy bigger and bigger clothes to accommodate his growing tumor.

Neither my father nor my mother were grateful for the incredible work that the doctors and nurses did to try and save them. Both my parents said, "What did I do to deserve this?"

They were both angry that they got cancer. Zappa and Jobs were too. Cancer happened to other people, not those of us who are above the rules.

Scott has said he doesn't want to let his doctors down. He's also aware of the pain his wife Georgia endured. I sent her tons and tons of medical information, because she told me that she handles crises by making plans.

Everyone else sent her good wishes, which is nice, but I wanted her to know what to ask the doctor, what to expect from the procedures and medication, and how lucky Scott was that they caught this in time.

When Scott was released, he and Georgia both sent me very nice notes, thanking me for my help.

So I believe that Scott will be okay. He doesn't think he's above the laws of nature, and he's grateful for what others do. That's crucial.

As he said in his interview, he feels guilty about what happened, which is an added stress. On the other hand, Zappa, Jobs, and my father never felt guilty about anything.

Feeling guilty is a sign of humility. When you feel humbled, it means you're more likely to listen to others.

I'm optimistic.

18. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Great interview, Tom! Sounds like you're feeling better about life also.....

19. Arthritic_Tom

Thank you.

Life and I are great pals. All friendships have their rough spots.

20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Whoa... that's deep. Seriously.

21. MR PC

MR PC

If you are ANY kind of a professional, it's not any kind of secret. Just common sense for career longevity...public persona vs. private life, that's all. I mean, do you think Zappa's fans wanted to hear about his tumor being the size of a grapefruit on stage....seriously that would have been career suicide, but OTH, it may of saved his life.