1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Intonation screw options, string spacing on fret board, & saddle walk/sustain issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by awilkie84, Oct 7, 2013.

1. awilkie84

awilkie84

I have an Affinity/MIM FrankenFender P-bass that I've put together & the stock bridge position was too far to the bass side of the neck/body. I'm no good with filling & re-drilling, so I checked how much play I'd have in the saddles if I moved the bridge down 1/4 - 3/8" and then aligned it with the neck. Success. It has enough play to intonate to a 34" scale, but the G string saddle is now only half way threaded when intonated.

Since moving the bridge, I've noticed that the spacing on the neck, while aligned, feels narrow. There's about 1/4" between the outside edges of the finger board & the E or G strings. Is this because I've moved the point at where the standard string spacing is reached down?

The other issue I'm having is that, because of the now longer distance between the back of the bridge and the saddles, I have a HUGE amount of saddle walk. Enough to bother me while playing. I also appear to have lost all but 2 seconds' worth of sustain on my lower strings.

Can anyone suggest how I can/should go about remedying this that doesn't involve a ton of work or expensive parts?

I'm open to all types of suggestions, and as many varying ones as I can get. :)

PS: I'll take some pics when I get home from work, so you guys can see what I'm dealing with.

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I gather you didn't check to see if you could shift the neck in the pocket...bummer.

3. awilkie84

awilkie84

I did check, yes. The pocket's tight on both sides and is straight. I also took the time to measure how the bridge was aligned with the neck pocket, not just the way strings sat on the neck