1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Intro and a question:

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AlbertLotito, Feb 11, 2014.

1. AlbertLotito

AlbertLotito

Hi All,
    I just registered but have been lurking around for a while. I play just for my own relaxation and do not have any notable instruments.
    BUT: I have a Bass Collections 4 string fretless that has been around the house for 20 years and needs some TLC. It had a clear finish with several dents and scratches.

I decided to refinish it. After much reading I took the plunge and disassembled it completely. I tried several chemical stripper and the finish just laughed at me and said "Yeah Right!".
    I settled on a heat gun and have most of the body down to mostly wood. As expected the top coat came of an left another layer below that is quite stubborn. I will do as much as I can with heat and then hand sand with a block (coarse to begin and progressively finer).
    I intend to finish with a 'colonial maple' stain followed by tru-oil.
    SO: :confused: my questions:
    1. Will heating the neck adversely effect the glue holding down the fingerboard?
    2. Should I loosen the truss rod before heating the back of the neck?
    See attached picture of the body in progress...
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Digitronically yours,
    Albert
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Yes, the heat gun could cause the glue to loosen on the neck, especially when you're heating the area close to the fingerboard. Not really necessary to loosen the truss rod. I would use sandpaper and good old fashion elbow grease on the neck.
  3. AlbertLotito

AlbertLotito

Thanks. I just worry about changing the profile of the neck.
    I guess it comes down to being patient.
    I will update as I go along...
  4. AlbertLotito

AlbertLotito

wow,
    the poly finish is some tough stuff... but i took a 50 grit sanding belt out of the belt sander and am showing the poly who's boss!
    some tough stuff but no match...

The 50 grit will leave a lot of finish sanding but it will make the bass all that much more beautiful.

agl
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Go easy with that 50 grit- might want to leave it half loaded, also.
  6. AlbertLotito

AlbertLotito

Yeah... Just taking my time. The body is starting to come together. I just put a coat of stain on it. It looks outstanding. I am going to tackle the neck on sunday...
    See here