1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Intro and pics of first mod/build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SamYoung, Feb 18, 2014.

1. SamYoung

SamYoung

Nov 27, 2013
    Massillon, OH
    I've been a long time lurker on here and decided it was about time I introduced myself. My names Sam Young, I'm 27 (as of today), and I'm a long time bass player/gear hoarder. My day job is a CNC programmer and a machinist in a protype shop so I've always loved working with my hands. Anyways, on to the first project.

About a year and a half ago, I decided that I wanted to build my first bass, but wasn't ready for a neck yet. I've always been a big fan of Warwicks so I tracked down a beatup Corvette $$ body and neck on ebay and that is where the story begins. I planed a little over .25" off the front and back of the body. I had picked up a nice piece of quilted maple earlier in the summer which I decided to bookmatch and use for the front and the back with a .030" fiber veneer from lmi for an accent line.

Once it was glued up, I put a 3/4" roundover on the whole thing and then did a little carving to get everything comfortable and to get the layers to show how I wanted. When I was doing the roundover, I splintered the top on the upper horn. I glued it back together the best I could and the sanded it down until the still damaged section was gone. I finished the body off with a few coats of tru-oil.

The neck was in pretty good shape minus some heavy fret wear in a couple spots. It got releved and all the wood got sanded back down and then finished with a few coats of Howard's feed-n-wax. When all was said and done, I finished it a year ago this week.

The specs:
    Neck: Warwick 5-string neck with solid brass nut
    Body: ash core w/ quilted maple top and back and black veneer accent
    Scale:34"
    Bridge: ABM style individual string bridges (spaced at 16.5mm)
    Pickups: Delano MC5-FE x2 (with s/p/sc switch for each)
    Preamp: Glockenklang 3-band
    Tuners: Hipshot Ultralites
    Strap mount: Dunlop recessed straplocks
    Strings: Circle K .041"-.158" tuned (G#C#G#C#F#)

That should about cover the details, so now for the interesting part, pics. Sorry I didn't start taking any until the body was glued up and trimmed.

all the goodies
    [​IMG]
    body rough carved
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    laying it out
    [​IMG]
    starting to apply finish
    [​IMG]
    assembling
    [​IMG]
    finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways, that it for the project that is done. I have a new one which I'll be starting a new thread on soon. Hope you enjoy!

2. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing.

Dec 10, 2013
    Denver, Colorado
    Looks like a fun build, thanks for sharing and happy bday! How does it play for you?

3. SamYoung

SamYoung

Nov 27, 2013
    Massillon, OH
    It plays great! Actions right where I like it and the amount of tones I can get out of it are just crazy. It's been my primary bass since the day it was finished.
    Also ended up loving the feel of the simply feed-n-wax'd neck which is super smooth whether your hands are wet or dry. I liked it so much that I sanded down my Thumb BO neck and redid it shortly after I finished this.

4. Aislinn

Aislinn

Feb 14, 2014
    Chicago Area
    Nice! How was it making a cover to fit the back cavity?

5. Sponsored by:

6. SamYoung

SamYoung

Nov 27, 2013
    Massillon, OH
    It wasn't bad. Made a paper template to the cavity, traced it onto the piece I picked out, rough cut it and then just sanded it down till it fit in. Going to actually make positive and negative templates for the next one though.