1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Introduction + some questions

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by kesshi, Dec 5, 2013.

1. kesshi

kesshi

Hi everyone,
    I've been reading these forums for quite some time before I got my first bass (like two weeks ago) and now I decided to post here for the first time.

Ok, first a bit of intro...
    Bass isn't my first instrument... well it could be said it's first instrument I'm interested to get good at, but before I picked it up I used to play acoustic guitar and I wasn't really good at it. To tell you the truth I never really had a will to practice guitar. The sound wasn't something I was looking for and therefore I quit it soon after I got it, but kept playing it from time to time for next few years. Still I hoped I'll get to play bass someday (it was my wish ever since High school; Btw I'm 20 now)
    Ok than, fast-forward to November 2014.
    I got my first bass, loved the sound it made and couldn't take my hands of it since then.
    But... I got some questions:

1. I completely learned several songs (thanks to my previous guitar expirience I get to learn them a bit faster I guess) but since I'm planning to take bass a bit more seriously (note: I don't plan to become God tier bassist, but I wanna get worth of "this guy's not bad" kind of comments) I thought I should learn at least a bit of theory while starting. So where do I begin?

2. I pluck strings only with my thumb... It just feels more natural like that and sound feels somewhat softer (I also preffer plucking closer to the neck most of the time) and right now it works fine, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do some harder and faster songs like this later on. Even here I found some threads about thumb plucking but couldn't make much conclusions from them.
    So question is - could thumb plucking be used by someone who wishes to become 7/10 bassist (hate this kind of ranking system :p)

3. Are there basslines you guys consider as milestones? I mean are there songs that once you learn to play decently you are no longer considerd N00b? Don't get it wrong, I don't mean to learn only these kind of songs if they exist, but just wanna know if there are some that are... Uhhhhh, nevermind, I phrased that awfully bad so to make things short could someone please post me a few songs of medium difficulty I could try to play from time to time when I start to get a bit better.

Ok than, that's it. Hope to get some answers and enjoy my stay here while not making trouble for anyone. :D:D:D

PS: Sorry for the bad English.