Inventory

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by Mechanical, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Mechanical

Mechanical

Seems like if you go to the website, they don't have a lot of basses in stock. Is there some summary of in-stock basses that are in the store? It looks like everything is sold.

:confused:

2. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

I found this on the site:

Call or Email For Pricing and Details. 800-545-8813 or sales@basscentral.com

I bet they would be happy to answer your questions by phone or email.

3. Mechanical

Mechanical

I think they would do well to keep an up to date inventory.

The website is useless. Useless.

ETA: How the hell do you buy something from them unless it's the ten things that aren't sold? Bass Central is a low-rent operation if their website is anything to go by. Compare them to any other online merchant. They are pathetic.

4. J2Kbass

J2Kbass

I am sorry but you are incorrect. They are not a low rent operation. They have one of the nicest collection of basses(and amps) available- period. I have been inside their store and purchased items from them numerous times. They have one of the largest collection of basses you will ever come across. I have learned a lot about what I do and don't want in a bass because of their HUGE inventory of basses. They are also good people. I had questions about different woods and their tonal qualities so one of their employees graciously handed me multiple roscoes, foderas, f-basses, sadowskys, alembics, and mtd's so I could have my own opinion on the effects of different woods. There aren't many stores that can do that. I have learned a lot because of their HIGH COST operation.

They do have a large amount of "sold" photos on their site but I like them as they act as a good gallery.

It's always best to understand something before you state your opinion on it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassnat

bassnat

Bass Central is THE bass store in Fl. They have an awesome inventory and sales force. Give them a call. I drive to their store from Ft Lauderdale and the 3 1/2 hour drive is well worth it. Nat

7. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

I have also dealt with BC a number of times. It is fun to look at the different colors and options, and isn't hard to call and ask what's in stock if you are serious about buying.

Beaver, Hopper - you guys are the BEST! Keep up the great work!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I will agree that their website could use some freshening up. But they are the number one bass-only music store in the world for a reason.

9. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

Ha, I cant speak for the rest of the world, but here in The States, a basis in fact is no longer a requirement for an opinion it would seem. :(

10. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

They have between 750 and 800 basses at any given time....that is a hell of a lot.

11. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Not every retailer is a website genius. In a high-volume store with a small staff, they may not have time to keep the site up to date after every sale. Personally, if I want to know what's in stock, I call. Then I call again and ask someone else to check, because I once drove to NYC from Pittsburgh to get a bass from Manny's Music that turned out to be an empty box that the guy I spoke to hadn't bothered to pull from the shelf to make sure the bass was in it.

I've bought from Bass Central and found their selection vast, their prices more than fair, their staff knowledgeable and their willingness to work with the buyer top notch.

12. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Disclosures:
    Sales Representative for Zane Guitars.
    Bass Central is who I buy all of my Music Man basses and guitars from. Why? Because they have always treated me well. The reason why there website is not up to date is several reasons. First, like others have said, the have hundreds of basses in stock that get shipped worldwide but only have a small staff so the time is simply not there to update everyday. But they also don't update it everyday to let people who visit the site see what has been ordered in the past and in most cases can still be ordered. Beaver and crew have always been wonderful people to deal with. They are the only place I go to buy from when making purchases because of how they have treated me. They also have very knowledgeable staff as opposed to certain larger chain stores that may have some knowledgeable staff but not all.

13. One Bass Short

One Bass Short Seeking to better my collection Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Guys,

I too see the frustration of listing sold items on their website, however, to contrast on one of the comments regarding their inventory, I visited their store when I was down in Orlando and let me tell you, there is a great deal of inventory.

The shop itself is loaded and the back room is full of great basses. This is not your run of the mill music store. They cater to people looking for basses you can't get but in maybe 5 places in the United States. I live in the land of The Great House of Guitars in Rochester, NY which has more inventory of guitars, to include the largest inventory of vintage guitars and basses, probably in the USA. From what I have seen with my own eyes, I have seen no larger inventory of high end basses anywhere other than Bass Central.

I have bought 2 basses from them, a custom Lakland and an Elrick single cut, and the transactions were great.

James

14. PsychoG

PsychoG

Having never been to their physical location nor purchased from them, my opinion is based solely on the website. It is a pretty bad website. Obviously, based on the number of folks who have come to their defense, they are doing a lot of things right. But, in this day and age, there is really no excuse for a quality business to have a sub-par web presence. It would seem to make sense for them to invest in some inventory management software that could integrate with their website to provide an up-to-date list of basses that are actually available. It would also minimize maintenance requirements for what appears to be a very manually maintained website. As I see it, upgrading their online store would only benefit them as a business.

15. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Disclosures:
    Sales Representative for Zane Guitars.
    Have you called them to talk to them about that? Do you have any programs to recommend to therm? Beaver and co. know basses. I deal with them because they know basses. They are experts in that field but with all of the time needed for being an expert, maybe they don't have the time to dedicate to be super knowledgeable on computer stuff.

16. PsychoG

PsychoG

No, I haven't talked to them, though it seems like a good business opportunity for someone who is a professional web-designer with eCommerce experience. Bass San Diego, to name just one other, is in much the same boat with its website.

17. Joe 1956

Joe 1956 Banned

I agree. Their website looks amateurish and unkempt, and I understand very well that it influences the opinion of my wallet.

Example:

"Used Arrivals" shows a lefty Sterling 4 at this moment, (02/13/2013) but the supposed link carries you to the catchall page of used stuff, replete with a bunch of SOLD items that you have to wade past first to get to your item of interest, and who knows how long those sold items have been on the page? Move the sold items to their own corner. Only the items for sale now are going to potentially bring in any more revenue. DUH!

And aren't things with underlines supposed to denote links? There are so many underlines on that site that you can't readily know what's a link and what isn't.

Does anyone else find that neon print(!), much less white, on black backgrounds hurts their eyes? I don't care to keep seeing a site afterimage for two or three minutes after leaving it.

As for those who apologize for the hobbyist attitude of the owner and/or webmaster, if it only takes a few seconds to paste a gaudy SOLD button on an item, (after tripping over all the extraneous stuff to find it), then it only takes a few more seconds to copy the item code and paste it into a SOLD ITEMS area of the site.

Bass Central might be a great store with trustworthy and knowledgeable employees for those who live in the immediate area, but that’s not the impression they’re leaving for the rest of us.

By the way, that lefty Sterling is marked SOLD. :rolleyes:

18. BassCentral

BassCentral

We intentionally leave items up to serve as a catalog. However, we do have anywhere from 600-800 basses in stock at all times.

Please send an email to sales@basscentral.com with any inquiries you may have. Or feel free to give us a call, toll free 1-800-545-8813.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else!

19. BassCentral

BassCentral

As the web manager here, I could not agree with you more. In fact I've spent countless hours and more years than I would like to admit in managing the creation of our new website.

This store could benefit greatly from inventory management software but that may have to happen at some point down the road. In the meantime, know that we have a killer new site in the process of being finished and it's sure to be more efficient, easier to navigate, and much much easier on the eyes.

So thank you for your suggestions and continued support. We appreciate each and every one of you guys making comments. Good and bad.

Best,
    BC Staff

20. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Their website may a bit outdated, but its WAY better than any of the stores that use Gbase or simply don't list inventory at all.

Lighten up people. I mean, this store is run by dudes named Beaver and Grasshopper. Of course their website is going to.... have a bit of character. I like it. They list exact weights on many of the instruments, good shots both front and rear, and are quick to respond to any questions. I hope they keep it as is.

21. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

My only regret about visiting Disney World last summer was not ditching the kids with their mom and heading to Bass Central for a few hours - it was RIGHT THERE and I missed it! My only consolation is also what bothers me the most, that I almost certainly would have left with an Alembic Mark King my wife would nag me about for a decade LOL

But they are SUPER nice on the phone, regarless of the website. And I like the website personally, it always looks the same :)