1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Invisible - U2 Synth effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by speeves, Feb 24, 2014.

1. speeves

speeves

Hi all,

I need to cover the synth bass sound during the verses of Invisible by U2. (http://youtu.be/ajVoeX4eqIQ). Does anyone have any advice on a pedal, or combination of pedals to help me get that sound? I am currently using an OC2, and it gets me close. I'm just wondering if there is some additional magic.

thanks,
    speeves
  2. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

I'm sure there are 100 ways to get a sound that would work here, but the more I listen to it the more it sounds like a really light flange stacked after my OC-2 on a Jojo Mayer setting would be how I would probably get that sound

(Jojo Mayer setting: octave1 knob turned all the way up, direct knob and octave2 knob turned completely off)

Flange is somewhat overlooked for bass, I think it can be super useful when trying to do stuff like this (totally depends on the flanger settings though)
  3. speeves

speeves

Hi adamsmatthewj,

Thanks for you quick reply yesterday! I wanted to try a few things before I did a perfunctory, "Thanks!". :p

I tried the flanger on my Line 6 Pod XT, but couldn't anything that I liked from that, so am looking at a Behringer BUF300 as a cheapy one off effect, (that I can get in a hurry :p ). I also added some dist to the OC2, and have a presentable sound for now.

I also monkeyed with your OC2 settings, and found that I lost a lot of gain when the Direct Level was at 0. Do you put the OC2 in a different chain so that you can keep volume levels level?

speeves
  4. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Yeah the volume drop is tough. Gotta turn that oct1 all the way up, and only play above the 10th fret or so. It's the one fault of that pedal lol!

Some do a mod to boost the volume of the oct, and I suppose if you ran it in a loop you could boost the vol there as well. I either just go with it as-is, and embrace the slight vol drop (mine isn't that bad if I peg it and play up high) or I run a transparent overdrive after it with a slight gain boost to even it out (but then you're tap dancing two pedals on and off, doesn't bother me but some hate that lol) the transparent drive adds a little dirt and warmth that sounds great with the synthy oct.

As for Flangers, I sometimes use the Boss bf-3 with great results (usually about $50 used on the TB classifieds), but my fav is the tc electronic Vortex flanger. Super flexible. It can be set very subtle, which is how I generally use flange. (although the bf-3 does that swirly oscillator sound extremely well and even has tap-tempo so you can sync up your swirl)

Never tried the behringer, let me know how it works! I have their bass synth pedal and it's pretty ok. A steal for $45 brand new from amazon.

Sorry for the lengthy reply!