iOS, iPhone, iPad and music 101

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm starting this thread because I've gotten lost in the iOS bass player thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/i...jamup-xt-audiobus-multitrack-daw-more-941283/ .

I'm new to my iPad and don't understand 3/4 of what people are talking about in the other thread. I'm about to invite them over here in hopes that they'll share the basics, and I'm talking basics.. Some of these questions I know the answers to already, but will ask anyhow for the pure beginner.
    • What can I do with my iPad/iPhone?
    • What's the best way for me to plug my bass into my iOS device?
    • If I plan to use anything live, in a professional situation, what's the setup (interface, apps, etc).
    • Which free apps are the best?
    • Which paid apps are the best?
    • What's a good looper?
    • Why does everyone seem upset with ikmultimedia?
    • What trouble did Jimmy start?
    • If you're already using an amp live, how do amp models in an app help? I never understood this about effects.
    • In a live situation is all this stuff just for fun, or do you really feel it ups your game somehow?
    • What is available in an app for for drum loops?
    • What are the recording software choices? What's the most functional, the most user friendly, etc?
    These are just ideas of some of the questions I or others might have. Feel free to go off on your own. If I'm feeling useful enough I might cut, paste, edit and try to group the responses together for a more comprehensive thread as I'm sure this is going to get as out of control as the other thread. But if everyone tries to stick with the basics, it could be real helpful.

Have at it boys!!!! Thanks.
  2. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

I'm far from being knowledgeable on the subject, but I'm subscribing since I'm interested in this topic as well.
  3. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

+1

Been messing around with this stuff for some time now, but just starting to get serious...subbed.
  4. Muldrake

Muldrake

Keeping an eye on this thread. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. J-O

J-O

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hi Joe,

I'll try and answer this for a real world scenario and not just bedroom playing.

Anything you want, iOS devices are quickly becoming incredible for music applications and creations, you've got synths from big names such as Moog and Korg, vintage drum machines and sequencers, loopers which are verging on Looperlative functionality and way way ahead of your standard Boss units.

Personally the iPhone should only be used for personal practice, mainly due to size and a bit due to power of the processor, but this could just be me preferring something a bit more substantial.

If you want to use this live currently I feel the Alesis IO Dock is the only legitimate solution, this is mainly due to the connectivity available (largely midi and instrument at the same time) but also the security of these connections.

For a professional sound you have to use an interface with a 30 pin connector currently the Focusrite Itrack, Apogee Jam and Alesis IO Dock. This demonstrates my preference for the IO Dock in the fact it's a dock so avoids any potentially unsecure connections, further more out of the above, it's the only one that will charge the device whilst in use, very important when working live (don't want your sound to die because you played Angry Birds for 8 hours before the gig)

Depends what you're trying to achieve, I use mine for an ampless setup, so it would be IO Dock, Jamup, Radial JDI and then my IEM setup. If looping or switching fx you're going to have to look into midi pedals or a bluetooth page turner (as can be used as a controller in some apps)

This gives me a full portable amp and sound setup.

I must stress though I've not done this live yet, just in the studio and at band practice.

Jamup, Ampkit and Amplitube but all will then require in app purchases to get a decent bass setup and with that in mind Jamup is the best, also works out cheaper to start with that and add the bass pack on that starting with Jamup XT (which is just Jamup Free with a guitar pack added on)

After that Audiobus, which allows you to run multiple apps at the same time, like a synth, an amp sim and a drum machine etc

If you're into synth stuff and playing keys

Animoog
    iMS20
    iPolysix

Drum Machines
    DM1
    iElectribe
    Funkbox

Looping
    Loopy HD

Recording
    Auria
    MultiTrack Daw

Try and get apps that are audiobus compatible, you can find these at http://audiob.us this is also pretty much a list of the best audio apps around.

Loopy HD, don't waste your time with anything else, basically is lightyears a head of anything in pedal format, only thing I'm waiting for is reverse and pitch shifting by doubling or halving the loop time, but you have amazing features like midi sync with other apps via audiobus, multiply and divide (to make you looping time longer without making the audience listen to your initial riff for 5 minutes), multiple tracks. List goes on.

I think people were expecting more, personally I just moved to Jamup as there is more for Bassists, if you just want an SVT or B15 clone Amplitube may do it for you but, Jamup has more for bassists.

No clue

Can't help on this, I'm sure you could make it into a decent fx processor with no amp sim, but currently the midi implementation isn't there and the layouts are like the old multis of a bygone age where everything is in banks.

Certainly wouldn't say it ups my game, but its nice working on tracks at home with some really nice tones and then going into the studio to lay down demos (note demo's here proper recordings the setup jumps up a few notches)

If you're a professional solo act or looping bassist, it's a game changer, removes thousands of $ worth of equipment, allows you do more than you ever could with single units. That's where my focus is.

Currently I would say don't bother using it with an amp, this is more of a silent stage setup where you've got a hefty PA and a nice IEM Setup it can be a great lazy rig :D

It's the same as going to a gig with a POD, it's largely wasted if you're running fx before it and an amp after it.

See above DM1 is my fav but due to a lack of Audiobus connectivity Funkbox is my most used.

Not used any yet, as I just loop it all and save my session but MultiTrack Daw looks the easiest and has Audiobus support.

This is my above opinion for a professional setup, when on the road and back stage warming up, practicing etc I use an Irig, it's a bit hissy but there are work arounds and using it and the iPad is way less equipment than when I had the various Korg Pandoras or the Raven Labs or even the Custom John East unit.

I'll likely replace the Irig with an Apogee Jam at some point, but I'm sort of biding my time to see what comes out supporting both 30 pin dock connectors and the new lightening connector.

The Alesis IO Dock is by no means perfect but it is the best option available to pro bassists, otherwise you're into a very messy, lots of specific cables and power supplies setup and that's just not a great way to go.

Feel free to query the above but I don't want to get into an argument with other iOS bassists about why they prefer their method, it's all opinion and it's all personal choice and it's all going to change on personal situations. I personally with my band won't be ditching my custom Matamp 200w all tube amp and custom 8x10 for the iPad rig anytime soon, however when jamming with friends or doing small gigs I will be exploring the iPad and a powered cab route.

Like I say, depends on your situation.

Enjoy
  8. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Thanks TaySte, that was awesome! :)

I jumped into a little experimentation on my own, between my OP and now. I had to spend a bunch of time figuring out how to simply get music from my computer to my ipad. I know, this is the first thing most people figure out. First thing I was interested in when I got my ipad a month or so ago was recording. My $.02 on that is that right now Auria is the only choice for anyone serious about recording. It's the only app thus far that really functions like cubase or protools. Lots of plugins, effects, eq, etc. And your not limited to 8 tracks as in all the others. People moan and groan about $40 pricetag, but once you upgrade the other apps to not even get near the functionality of Auria, it's probably going to cost you more anyhow.

As for the other stuff, which I knew nothing about, I played around with GK, Ampeg, and Jamup app. In aggreement with Teyste's comments I'm liking jamup the most thus far. Just need to figure out how to get my music into it still. I managed to transport my mp3s from my computer into my music folder on the ipad, but I'm still stuck bigtime on all the itunes stuff that I'm unfamiliar with. I don't want to pay the $24 for icloud sharing (don't think I have to), but want to be able to get everything into jamup. If anyone can help and save me some research it would be appreciated.

Lastly, when I purchased my ipad I bought a tascam iXZ which was pretty much throwing away my money. I need to get something else to plug my bass into. Will research the recommendations, but for anyone else just getting into this, don't waste your money on anything that plugs into the earphone jack. Unless of course you want to buy my iXZ for $25. :) I'll happily sell it to ya.
  9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Auria maybe the best, so far I've just used mine for creation and then plugged it into a computer using Logic.

Band were a little off me using it in the studio but, it had my tone far more than the logic plugins.

Will see how long it lasts there once I get my Matamp Tube Di and Pre.

Either way this is my looping and experimental rig now, which is all I ever used any heavy fx setup for.
  10. PrietoBass

Hello Joe,

If you have your mp3s in your iPad that's half the battle. I have an iPhone, but I'm assuming the process should be similar on an iPad.

Refer to the attached screen caps (more coming on next post...):

1) At the bottom of the JamUp screen, tap on the "Jam" tab/section.
    2) Tap on the "Load Song" button.
    3) Navigate your music folders to song you want to import to "jam" with.
    4) Select your song.
    5) JamUp loads your selected song.
    6) Once loaded, hit the play button to play your song. You can adjust the speed, pitch and the volume of your song, or loop sections of a song.

I hope this helps! :hyper:

Attached Files:

11. PrietoBass

Here are two more:

Attached Files:

12. PrietoBass

...and finally:

Attached Files:

13. adambomb

adambomb

Tayste 2000 gives some great answers and ill see what i can cover
  14. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

15. the yeti

the yeti

good stuff.
  16. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Thanks. Problem though is in step 3. Only a blank page appears that's titled iPod import. There are no options to do anything on that page except click done, or switch views. All views are blank.

The music is in my music folder on the ipad, but doesn't show up in jam up. And I don't know why.
  17. adambomb

adambomb

• What can I do with my iPad/iPhone?
      The possibilities are endless now a days and getting better and better
    • What's the best way for me to plug my bass into my iOS device?
      Through the 30 pin digital is the best route because of the noisiness of the in and out of the headphone jack due to the filters in place for the mic jack and the crosstalk. Save your money and go straight to 30 pin instead of going ampkits device or the irig and such.
    • If I plan to use anything live, in a professional situation, what's the setup (interface, apps, etc).
      Very personal to you taste and likings to your own personal performance needs. Mine is simple but very effective for my needs....which is the iPad 2, connected to the art USB dual pre via CCK and jamup. I have different presets for different sounds that I prefer for each type of tone that I like for different moods of the songs I play. I don't use many effects if any so I don't turn on and off effects during the middle of songs so no need for a midi device for controlling my pedals. I used to use Amplitube exclusively with the two bass amps that were available and I also used the fender twin coupled with the 1x15 cab to get as close to my fender bassman sound that I could get. But now I exclusively use jamup xt and the bass expansion pack. (Outrageously good for bass) better than AT at the moment.
    • Which free apps are the best?
      It depends on what kind of app you are referring to but for amp sim:
      With AT and jamup xt offering their gear to be purchased separately or in bundles so you do not have to buy the entire suite. For guitar I only have AT and I have purchased the full version with the slash pack and fender pack added on and AT is definitely a great guitar amp sim.....hugely versatile in which you can combine one amp and pair it up with a totally different amp's cab and two choices of mics and a ons lout of effect pedals the tone possibilities are endless and for a guitarist if you can't achieve the tone you are looking for there is something wrong with you.......
      On the other hand for bass AT is not all that versatile and the bass tones are not as strong as the tone in jamup xt......with 4 different amps to choose from right off the bat there are more bass versatility in jamup than in AT. As for guitar I do not have any of the guitar amps instead of the ac30 which comes free on the free version of jamup xt........ And it sounds as good as the ac30 in AT the only thing there is that when you select the ac30 in jamup that's it there isn't any cab selection or mic coloration or anything like that. But it does sound good at what it is and that is a good sim of the ac30.
    • Which paid apps are the best?
      See free app
    • What's a good looper?
      I don't have any yet but it seems the consensus is that loopy is kickin
    • Why does everyone seem upset with ikmultimedia?
      Ik multimedia has been the go to app for us on iOS for a long while and regarding the bass customer base. They seam to be hugely lacking in their attention to this sect of customer relations. for the longest time having lots to offer in the bass department on the desktop version of their software, the iOS version lacks greatly in this department. Only to be given the runaround and the push off to getting more availability to the bass player needs. When the three of us ( duke 21, rip or myself) have gone to the ik forums and ask for more gear we get the "we are working on it" kind of response that seemed to be their copy paste reply to anything that was mentioned to them regarding bass gear. And the deletion of our posts and theads that mentioned other apps or in regards to possibly making AT iOS a better app.
      After years of them "working on it" they finally release the AMPEG endorsed b15 which was a great addition, but after years of "working on it" it seemed to us all that was a terrible amount of time to simply port down an amp that is currently on the desktop version. Now they have still to this day not put on one single piece of bass gear since. But there are a plethora of bass gear that could be ported down as a bass pack and they still seem to ignore us. U till recently when Brian from ik came onto "the official AMPEG portaflex club" here on talkbass only to have a big arguement with a few of the guys here and still had no answers to the question "what kind of gear have they been working on for bassist in the iOS realm" and left a big nasty taste in our mouths once again. (Sad)
    • What trouble did Jimmy start?
      What did he not do? :)
    • If you're already using an amp live, how do amp models in an app help? I never understood this about effects.
      I started because of a no amps on stage policy that was introduced at the church I play at. AT was my solution to the dull straight to DI sound I was getting. With amp sim I was able to achieve the tone I was looking for. Also being a bassist I know that unless you own the pa and all the sound equipment and hire the sound guy yourself. That sound guy is going to override you amps sound anyway by using your DI signal to the board and adjust to the room the tone he wants you to have. Having amp sims allows the bassist to give the FOH the tone you want and are achieving in your mind as the tone needed for a song. And the sound person just eqs the room and not so much creating your sound for you. Also it's much easier to set up your rig when all were are talking about is your bass your iPad an interface and a DI (and lighter and smaller)
    • In a live situation is all this stuff just for fun, or do you really feel it ups your game somehow?
      See previous answer
    • What is available in an app for for drum loops?
      There is a great drum machine /looper that I was recently introduced to called "DM1" check that one out. Very versatile. It takes a bit of a learning curve but is very good and it was free when i got it
    • What are the recording software choices? What's the most functional, the most user friendly, etc?
      Garage band, multitrack DAW, AT has its own 8track recorder that is available as an in app purchase, when I type DAW into the search of the App Store 92 apps are found so that maybe a little hard to answer.
  18. adambomb

adambomb

Wow that took a while I edited it a little to be able to read easier.by adding space
  19. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Any chance u can edit that with some spaces? :)
  20. adambomb

adambomb

already did :D
  21. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Thanks. And you cleared a lot of things up, especially the ikmultimedia stuff. I might possibly be having my own issues with them regarding sampletank. I'm waiting for a response to some questions. I believe I may have been misled by their purchase offerings, but I'm not sure yet. I'll see when they get back to me.