1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

IPad, garage band and a mic

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by geddy402, Dec 5, 2013.

1. geddy402

geddy402

So I'm thinking of using an iPad, garage band and a mic to do a little basement recording. Anyone have any experience recording with a set up like this? I'm looking to just get down some guitar and bass and then put drum track in with the software and other instrumentation. I really don't feel like getting a macbook and pro tools and all that other stuff. And my current laptop can't support any type of recording other than crappy mic on the computer.

Hoping this may be an option to get some basic recordings down to shop around.

Thanks for the help!

2. CliftonBonney

CliftonBonney Gold Supporting Member

I use GarageBand all the time to write songs on the iPad. It works great. I don't use a microphone on the bass and guitar amps, if that is what you are intending on doing. I use the amps in GarageBand.

3. zeb_bass

zeb_bass

A generic usb audio interface e.g. Behringer UCA222 USB Audio Interface works excellent via the USB camera adapter. I use it all the time to record my bass. Whereas the irig is totall crap for bass. It seems like it rolls off at 100 hz. Virtually no bass no matter how hard you boost the bass seems to be totally tailored for the guitards.

4. geddy402

geddy402

Cool. So if I get a USB adapter for the FireWire I can use the Behringer rig. It looks like Tascam makes something too. Does it handle the recorded bass and guitar well?

How does the irig work?

Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CliftonBonney

I use the Apogee Jam. Works great.

7. geddy402

geddy402

Very cool. Just checked it out online. Does it work well for bass?

8. CliftonBonney

9. geddy402

geddy402

Are there bass amps on garage band? I only saw guitar amps in the how to videos I watched.

10. geddy402

geddy402

Has anyone used the apogee duet?

11. Marial

Marial They make pills for that, right? Gold Supporting Member

Friend of mine has had one for awhile and loves her Duet.

12. Nordic Groover

Nordic Groover Supporting Member

Am I the only one who thinks the Apogee Duet is horrendously overpriced? I know it's aimed at the "It's sexy like my iMac" market who are likely to pay for the prettiness, but...

13. Latitude94941

Latitude94941

I can't comment on the latest USB version, but IMO opinion the FireWire version (which I own) was a great bargain. Great sounding A/D and D/A converters that will compete with DACS at 4X the price, especially if powered from a high quality power supply rather than bus power.

re iPad recording, both the JAM and the Apogee Mic are great products (the Mic is a fantastic sounding SDC for the money) but in my experience the iPad's latency is problematic for serious production work.

14. geddy402

geddy402

Thanks for the help all. I'm looking to make some demos and flesh out my songs. Hoping this is a user friendly way to do it..."normal" PC systems have a pretty steep learning curve from my past experiences that just end up frustrating me and give up on trying to make any descent recordings. And it seems like I can do most of the tracking by myself. Just have to figure out how to play the iPad drums I guess...

15. Major Softie

Major Softie

I'm a little confused by this statement. There is no such thing as a USB to FireWire adapter (despite such things appearing on eBay), the data streams are said to be "incompatible." And, the Behringer he mentioned is USB already.

All the iPad's can do USB. I don't think any iPads do FireWire.

16. geddy402

geddy402

17. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I've not tried garage band on the phone, but I imagine learning any recording software will be about the same. It is easy to hook up and record a bass signal with a cheap usb interface (mine is an old Line6 Tone Port). Learning to create your own beats, etc… much more time consuming (no hit record, play instrument/done). I'm trying to learn now and won't get frustrated and quit, I hope.

f n o r d !

18. vin*tone

vin*tone

This.

:bassist:

19. 3armdave

3armdave

Yeah, if you want a quick fix and crappy sound that is definitely the way to go.
    Otherwise put in the effort and learn how to use a real daw.
    D

20. geddy402

geddy402

What amp do you use in garage band for bass? I ended up getting a duet and iPad air. So that will be my main demoing set up.

21. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I use Sansamp BDDI pedal to send my bass to garage band. I have a very old line6 tone port ux1. I use it only as an interface, except when I use a guitar (6 string twanger), and then I use the effects.

fnord!