1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ipad Stereo Interface

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bunkmunk, Nov 26, 2013.

1. bunkmunk

bunkmunk Supporting Member

So here' she thing, I want to record into my ipad. The apogee jam seems like a decent interface and that would be fine if I just wanted to record my bass.

But I have a roland td-4 and that I would like to record with. The problem with the apogee is that it doesn't record in stereo, so the panning of the drums wouldn't come through, which is important to me. Also any stereo effects for guitar.

Does anybody know of a decent and inexpensive stereo interface that is compatible with an ipad. I do realize there is an ios bass players thread, but it is HUGE! Too much to sift through. Thank you in advance!

2. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What is inexpensive?

Apogee Duet is an excellent interface but it's not cheap.

3. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I have used a alesis io4 and a camera adapter for recording with an iPad. That is probably in the $150 ballpark.

4. bunkmunk

bunkmunk Supporting Member

By inexpensive I mean maybe around a hundred bucks or less. Just looking for something simple, compact and easy to work with.

Chainsaw Willie, that might work. May be a bit more than I need. Do you record through garage band? Are there any compatibility issues with other music apps?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I used an app called Multitrack DAW by Harmonic Dog. http://www.harmonicdog.com
    I have never tried it with garage band. I seem to remember reading a year ago that garage band would only allow you to record 2 channels simultaneously instead of all 4. This might not be a problem if you don't have plans to record 4 tracks at a time. It has been a while, I seem to remember harmonicdog will take 4 at a time.

Another interface option is the alesis IODock docking station for generation 1, 2, and 3, but not the latest gen or mini with the different connector. No camera adaptor (for USB) is needed. The whole iPad plugs into it. I have not used this item, but I have read that people are using it with garage band. It is two channel. Sweetwater and b&h photo have them for $150. B&h has a used one for $110.