iPad users - which one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blindrabbit, Jan 22, 2014.

1. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

I've read a lot on here about the benefits of having and using an iPad, on many front - using it live for charts and setlists, using it to help with practice and playing along with songs, etc etc. I have an opportunity to pick one up at a good price.

My question now is - which one? It looks like I can choose from an iPad Mini with Retina display, an iPad Mini without Retina, an iPad Air, or an iPad (I think this makes it a 4th Gen) with Retina.

If I was choosing for personal use around home, reading and the like, I'd go for a Mini like my wife has. But, I wonder if the Mini is more difficult to look at when mounted on a stand and using at a gig. Have people found that the difference in screen size matters? I've also read (not here) that with the Retina display that the screen size doesn't matter that much anymore. Or, maybe its all about the processor speed and I should just buy the most current one.

Any thoughts and experiences from those who have and use them would be much appreciated! Oh, if it matters - I'm 41 and reasonably adept with electronics, I do wear glasses but my eyes are still quite good, and I gig/practice recreationally between 2-4 times a month. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I hope this is the right forum for these questions - if not, my apologies and mods go ahead and move it.
  2. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

i honestly don't see a reason to get mini, unless your short on cash, or constantly take with you everywhere you go, but to me thats what the phone is for. i use my ipad for practice every day, couldn't see doing it with a mini. its nice to have the screen space.
  3. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

I'm thinking the larger one is the way to go too, but maybe the Mini mounts easier to mic stands,or something like that?

I figured best to hear from people that have and use them. So, one vote for the full size? Others?
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I like my non-retina mini for normal browsing/gaming/whatever purposes. A working musician buddy of mine has an ipad 2 that uses while gigging. I'd think the larger screen is more useful for that.

For what you want it for, I recommend this one:
    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad2

$400 bucks for 16gb/wifi only. It's more than enough space. The retina display is a waste of money, in my opinion. It's the difference between a very, very good picture, and a very, very, very good picture.

They also often pop up in the classifieds: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f139/

You can also buy refurbished directly from apple: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad
    I got my old ipad 2 from there and never had a problem with it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

The "Talent" click works great for mounting the iPad on a mic stand. Hightly recommend. If you'll be reading notes I'd go with the iPad. I use it and it works fine. If only chord charts or setlists then the mini might be OK. The iPad just isn't that big, it fits in almost any gig bag's pocket.
  7. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Thanks everyone, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Within the models I listed, I've got the opportunity to get a few of them for free, including the full size iPad with Retina, so I think I'll go that way.
  8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I use my iPad 2 for many things. Apple has yet to give me a reason to upgrade to a new model. The mini is too small to be useful at a gig (even just to see my set list I'd need to put on my reading glasses). My iPad2 runs great on iOS7, btw.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yeah, free is a no brainer!